Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 Swiss 5 Franken Wehranleihe

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 214Next Topic  
Valued Member

Germany
141 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  09:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought this at stg grade, which should correspond to MS-65 or higher. I think that it is correct, would you agree?

Sorry, I hesitate breaking it out of the 2x2 until I get the fitting Quadrum capsule. I think the pictures are adequate though?

Edited by HP2001PH
08/05/2022 09:26 am
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on your photos and comment I think you are correct.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24472 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin! MS-65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3037 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin...I agree MS-65.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8006 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, nice coin! It appears to be an attractive, brilliant coin with nice luster.

I like the silver 5 Franc commemorative coins of Switzerland - I've assembled a set myself.

Please take my comments that follow in context - lighting used for digital images can have ill effects on the object being imaged and sometimes introduce things that are not there. I believe it's always best to evaluate coins in hand - an advantage you have over all of us here on CCF.

That said, I'm not sure about a few things I see on the obverse of the coin.

- I see multiple areas of discoloration on the legs of the female figure - can you tell if this is dirt? Wear/metal loss? A lighting artifact? The legs are a high point in the design and are subject to early wear.

- I see rim damage in multiple locations. Minor, but present. Many graders factor such damage into their overall grade to its detriment.

For these reasons, based on the images, I am hesitant to call the coin MS-65. Nonetheless, it is a very nice coin and a great addition to a collection! Congrats!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Germany
141 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are certainly right about the rim. Her legs are flawless however, I just checked again.

I will add a photo once I have removed this from the 2x2.
Edited by HP2001PH
08/05/2022 12:28 pm
Learn More...
United States
24167 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Her legs are flawless

For sure I'm not qualified to grade this absolutely beautiful coin, but I agree that the second pic shows something seems to have happened to her right knee, right at the crease.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
966 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is certainly in that region but I wouldn't be surprised if a TPG gave it MS64.
Valued Member
Germany
141 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you are right, there is a nick. Did not see that before!

I am not very experienced with grading, but I think overall the flaws are still minimal.

If I compare with Morgans (where I have at least some experience now), MS-64 specimens are worse for the wear than this coin.

But, well, I guess its subjective to some degree at least.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
966 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of micro hits to the rim which I think may actually stop this from going 65. I'd love to know if you get it graded.
Valued Member
Germany
141 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nah, I won't.
For me it would only make sense if I had a really valuable coin (say several hundred €) that I wanted to sell.
This coin here is worth maybe 50€ and I plan to leave it to my kids some day.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
966 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's great. It's a nice coin, I'm going to look for one, I like the design.
Valued Member
Germany
141 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, its beautiful. Should be easy to find one I think.

Look also for the 1948 5 Franken Gedenkmünze 100 years swiss constitution. Its also beautiful and can be had for even less money.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 214Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: