Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Abraham Lincoln Medal Or Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 272Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
807 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  08:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey All,

In my collection I found this token which Appears to have Lincoln on it. However looking through the internet there are many varities and also many later types. Depending on how earlier the type how more interesting it is. However, I don't know if this one is a early type or not.

William Barber (copying an earlier medal by Paquet). 1869 (first medal)? Bust of Abraham Lincoln right, B at chest.

Diameter is 19 mm
Weight 4,56 grams

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
872 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interested to hear about this.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8049 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Abraham Lincoln "Broken Column" medal by Charles Barber was originally struck in the late 1860s - it was created in memory of the assassinated president; versions were struck in silver and copper. Your medal appears to be a US Mint 20th Century re-strike of the medal, however. Market value for the re-strikes is typically in the $20 to $40 (USD) range, depending on condition.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
807 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for your reply. Could you tell me how I can see it is a restrike rather then a old type?
I found some auctioned pieces that look the same to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8049 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could you tell me how I can see it is a restrike rather then a old type?

The most immediate giveaway is the medal's color. The yellow-golden color is indicative of the modern alloy used for the re-strikes vs. the natural color of original aged copper.

Originals and re-strikes are each sold at auction.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
807 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for this information
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 272Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: