Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mid-August RCM Release Highlights Oscar Peterson

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 661Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2910 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  1:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The RCM has put out a coin release honouring Oscar Peterson..

1 oz Gold - $4099.95 - 400 Mintage
1 oz Silver - $99.95 - 5000 Mintage
Keepsake Card - $24.95 - 50,000 Mintage
Special Wrap $1 Colourized - $54.96 - 15,000 Mintage
Special Wrap Set $1 Colourized/Non-Colourized - $109.90 - 10,000
Special Wrap Commemorative Keepsake Subscription Includes Alexander Graham Bell - $24.95 - 50,000 Mintage
Special Wrap Commemorative Collection Subscription - Includes Oscar Peterson, Alexander Graham Bell, Summit Series - $54.95 - 10,000 Mintage

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4557 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He's a genuine Canadian Jazz legend. Well deserving a commemorative coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1139 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I WILL pick up the two $1 coins, but should I buy the 7-piece card ($12.50 each) or wait to see if somebody who buys the rolls will sell single plain & colored dollars at $5 to $10 each?
Decisions!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8253 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I'm not much of a jazz fan - I prefer blues - I was unfamiliar with Oscar Peterson. I spent some time earlier today familiarizing myself with his music via videos available on the internet.

My new found familiarity won't drive me to a coin purchase, but I did get to learn about something new! And that's always good!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
08/12/2022 09:19 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
614 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't see this coming... This is the prime intersection of two of my great passions... Coins and Music. Oscar Peterson is a giant in the field... For those more rooted in numismatics, he is the 1911 Silver Dollar of piano Jazz.

This is an offering that rocketed to the top of my list and I will be buying. Now if the RCM were to extend this to a "Great Canadian Pianist" series and add Glenn Gould...

For those not familiar with his work take a look at
xdd5pn1xs7M
If you want something a bit more accessible if you are not a big Jazz fan, here is his masterful rendition of Summertime
1Vlrh8V2J6Y
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8253 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vonigohcr: It's always nice when passions intersect - hope you enjoy the coin!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@atticguy The collector cards are a nice display and informative. If you want a full year set. I usually get the rolls from the mint. If you are willing to pay 5 to 10 dollars a piece, at about $43 US they are not a bad deal. Mintage is limited 2 million with the purple accent 1 million without.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 661Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: