Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 S Lincoln Memorial Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 413Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
135 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  6:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Miss Italy21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this as change the other day and it's in rough shape. Not quite sure how to clean it, used a little soap and sift toothbrush, didn't seem to help much. But, was wondering if anyone can tell if this is a DDO. In looking at the first 9 in the date, it looks like a DD? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71545 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show us close-ups of the date.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46456 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never clean coins. Need better photos. Did you check all three reference sites? If so,what attribution number do you think it might be?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
9293 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the posted pics, I'm not seeing a DDO. Better images may help.
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Miss Italy21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is in such bad shape, these are the best photos I can get?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71545 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still looks normal in this pic.
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Miss Italy21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trying!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10976 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17910 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never clean coins, never clean coins .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1773 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Dearborn.
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Miss Italy21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used mostly water and a soft brush. Not aggressive cleaning. A dab of dawn. No other chemicals! I know not to clean and would never use anything besides water. The coin was so filthy, I could even see the date before... I don't believe I did any damage. Dried it with a soft lint free cloth.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3611 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's never a good idea to do any kind of friction cleaning to a coin. While the toothbrush may not be enough to scratch a copper cent, the contaminates that are freed by scrubbing can act like sand on the surface. Collectors will pay much more for coins showing the original surfaces. Even a wipe with a soft rag can cause hairline scratches that will cut the value of a coin. Cleaning can reduce the value of a coin by 80% or more. No one like getting a coin that was submitted for certification back from the TPG in an 'Ungradable' body bag;

The only acceptable way to 'treat' a dirty coin at home is to soak it in acetone to remove debris on the surface. This will not damage the coin and isn't considered cleaning by the Third-Party Grading companies. Once you have soaked the coin in acetone. rinse it with distilled water and let it dry. Make sure to read and understand the instruction on the label, as acetone is flammable and can be explosive.

You can send a coin to be professionally conserved if it turns out to be valuable, but wait for confirmation of what you have before doing anything.
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Miss Italy21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much. Very helpful...appreciate it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46456 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not matter what you use to clean a coin,unless you really know what you are doing...just don't do it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59516 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a spender.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree...not seeing any DDO...just a spender...oops...just a copper saver!!!

KK
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 413Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: