Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 S Grease Fill Or Circulation Wear

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 372Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
201 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  7:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bestjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone, I`m set up and going through my dads collection. starting with lwc`s first. I forgot my box of mint sets, so I shall get them when I go home in a few days and fix the road to my house from the monsoon`s. I`m curious if this is a Greaser or wear? Thx in advance

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18217 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not look like a Greaser . I'm certain it's wear .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73466 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Likely a grease issue, agree.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12260 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2189 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a weak spot for wheats. It's where the Lincoln portrait takes away metal from the Rev to fill in the Obv. Note the one also.
Edited by Cujohn
08/20/2022 1:59 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60401 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a Struck Through Grease error. What makes me think on that? Look at the devices, they are wider than normal, meaning the deeper part of the die was partly filled, thus the coins devices will be wider/taller and weaker as the die gets more grease in that area:

CoopHome: How can I tell is my coin has a Grease Fill issue? The devices will be wider/taller and thinner on the coin
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/20/2022 4:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9986 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning toward a grease issue.
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bestjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the first s in states. So cool, I got me a dang Greaser. Woohoo. Thx coop that Is a great explanation. Your always on top of it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 372Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: