Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2022 Qeii Platinum SD Avbl At RCM Website At $69.95 Limit One!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,423Next Topic  

Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2022  10:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Northern to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just thought I'd share the good news....I was skeptical, but it's true. I bought one. They're sold out (mintage 25000) but suddenly available at the RCM and I see at Gatewest also (but $239 there!!!)

Do you think the mint suddenly "found more"? OR are they increasing the mintage? Or do they just not mint everything they plan and in this case they are suddenly doing so?
Valued Member
Canada
303 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2022  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin was never sold out at RCM; it was "out of stock" for a while.

But it will be sold out soon.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2912 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2022  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or do they just not mint everything they plan and in this case they are suddenly doing so

I suspect this is the case because shipment is not until December 19.

The mintage is 25,000 which is extremely high considering todays coin market. It does not make sense to mint all 25,000 if there is not enough demand to meet it.

While the coin was never sold out, it was listed as "awaiting stock" which essentially means sold out.
Edited by MoneyPenney
09/16/2022 3:48 pm
Valued Member
Canada
147 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2022  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tender4848 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last night I was on the RCM website and noticed the 2022 Special Edition Silver Dollar for the Queens Jubilee was no longer listed as sold out.

I attempted to purchase one but the site would not let me complete the purchase.

This morning I called the RCM. The Customer Service Rep told me that the RCM had sold out the original 25,000 allotments of these coins. The REP then indicated with the recent events of the Queens passing the RCM was going produce an additional 3500 Special Edition Silver Dollars. Also the REP indicated since I had purchased one Special Edition Silver dollar when they were issued earlier this year the strict limit of one per household would not let me purchase another silver dollar. This is why the purchase would not go through last night.

Just looked at the RCM website and they are still available. So if you haven't already purchased one from the Mint, get one before they are gone.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1321 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received an email (Sept 15) from my rep - offering me to buy "if you want more" of these coins - I didn't want to be greedy, so bought one more.
Edited by Dcadon
09/17/2022 11:49 am
Valued Member
Canada
303 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RCM said it's "working on a plan to issue a variety of coins commemorating Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's lifetime of service as Queen of Canada."

Is this platinum jubilee coin more collectible than upcoming commemorative coins?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
619 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this platinum jubilee coin more collectible than upcoming commemorative coins?

It will all depend on the mintage of the individual coins.

I was disappointed to read above that the already huge mintage of 25,000 was going to be increased by 14% to 28,500. I doubt that there will be much demand for this coin in the long run. All of the SD's that have retained or appreciated in value have an outstanding or topical design and a low mintage.

Good examples of this are:
2010 Sun Mask - Mintage 5,000
2010 Enameled Poppy - Mintage 4,907
2009 Montreal Canadians - 15,000
2005 Enameled Flag - Mintage 4,898
2002 Queen Mother - Mintage 9,994

The Canadians had an appealing topic to many Canadian Hockey fans, the Queen Mother coin was the year of her death but the rest are all significant in that they have a mintage of 5,000 items or less.

Most SD's these days are issued in the 15,000 - 20,000 range and historically mintages have been as high as 500,000+ None of these retain their value and end up floating to bullion value with a small premium

I anticipate a mass market (circulation $ or $2) either late this year or very early next year. Additionally a widely available SD, a premium silver and a gold and or platinum release that will have a smaller mintage.

These should have a 2022 date as 2023 will be full of coronation coins and sets. I would also be surprised if the coin isn't already designed as her passing was an inevitability... alternately, they could re-issue a past design with a dual-date differentiator but that would seem weak unless very well executed... Maybe a reissue of the 2018 $25- 3 coin set double dated.... or a silver variant of the 2004 gold $300 Quad Cameo portrait with double dating similar to the 2002 gold $300 reverse.

Surprisingly, given how many releases there have been over the years since the Montreal Olympics kicked off the modern era of NCLT, the Queen has not spent a lot of time on the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1321 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is the first time I have ever seen the mint make more coins then they indicated at release. Often they didn't fill the order due to lack of interest, but I thought there was something in place that would not allow them to make more then their published 'top' mintage. 25,000 vs 28,500. (+14%) I don't think it's fair to the collectors.
Edited by Dcadon
09/20/2022 8:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2912 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think this is the first time I have ever seen the mint make more coins then they indicated at release. Often they didn't fill the order due to lack of interest, but I thought there was something in place that would not allow them to make more then their published 'top' mintage. 25,000 vs 28,500. (+14%) I don't think it's fair to the collectors.

There is 2 ways of looking at this. If you are are a casual coin collector or someone just looking for something to commemorate the death of the Queen, they would have no problem with the increased mintage. If you are a coin flipper, you would not be happy at all.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1321 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I contacted my Rep today, and got the following response. (no extra coins to be produced)

Quote:
"We are just making the balance.
Mintage will not change."
Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Northern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's now sold out at the mint also.
Valued Member
Canada
303 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Surprisingly, given how many releases there have been over the years since the Montreal Olympics kicked off the modern era of NCLT, the Queen has not spent a lot of time on the reverse.

She did on a few coins. But she looked like out of a horror movie.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
688 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just thought I'd share the good news....I was skeptical, but it's true. I bought one. They're sold out (mintage 25000) but suddenly available at the RCM and I see at Gatewest also (but $239 there!!!)

Gatewest still has them in stock and lots available on the auction sites.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
688 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2022  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any update on the additional coins? One of the on-line dealers that was taking orders for a December 2022 delivery date now just lists the coin as "sold out".
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,423Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: