Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1892 O Barber Half Vs. ANACS

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 592Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
477 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  07:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

What are your thoughts on this one? Thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73506 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the reverse rims, I'll say G-04, some will say G-06.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5632 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm on the G-4 side.
The rim on the reverse is slightly worn into STATES.
But not enough wear to be an AG-3.
But generally the obverse has more weight in a coin's grade.
So a G-6 grade is possible.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
09/17/2022 08:48 am
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a bit of a tough one, because the obverse is clearly a G-6 while the reverse is G-4 at best. I think that ANACS will call the coin a G-6, weighing the obverse more heavily. Still, I could see the grade going either way.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13347 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree its a tweener and could go 4 or 6. I think the coin overall is closer to G6
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25706 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As usually the obverse is better than the reverse. G-6 at best.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8526 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at G4 on this one. Granted the obverse is stronger, but the reverse legends worn into the rim at the top of the coin can't be ignored - and that definitely IMO holds this out of the G6 camp.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
666 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G-4 also
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
United States
2450 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a G-4.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4489 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G-6. Nice example of this date with the reverse not worn down excessively into the rim.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mkirch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like G4 to me based on the reverse. Close G6 obverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3481 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good 4 overall.
Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1133 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2022  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a choice looking G+ Barber the obverse is VG-8 nice amount of wreath and L T Y of Liberty showing and denticles all the way around obverse very nice. True to form the reverse is 1.5 grades lower with weak rims and wear into the feilds. On this one it doesn't matter a solid G-6 original is a tough find and worth full retail. You can sit around watching ebay and GreatCollections David Lawrence etc all you want hoping to buy one like this for $250.00 and I say good luck to you or you can own one like this for the extra hundred bucks.
These are available for a premium and that premium is there for a reason...scarcity. I have them all I've forked out the dough for original G-VG examples and even not so common commons in PQ low grade are 50 + bucks. The 1892 S, 1894 P 1893 S 96-S 97-S I can keep going.
Beautiful honest low grade original key coin, I wouldn't mind that one in my set. For those who prefer NGC and PCGS Barbers over ANACS take a close look at some of their low grade honeys in AG3 - VG they give the reverse a lot of leeway on these and in my opionion ANACS doesn't. There's alot of slick rimmed low grade cleaned Barber Halfs in PCGS slabs. The blue holder grading days of ANACS are over.
Edited by luvmyCAM
09/18/2022 6:17 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73506 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The suggestion that this obverse is VG-08 reinforces the steady decline in grading standards over the past 30-40 years. In my days working at a coin shop, this obverse would have been a one-look G06.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2022  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog- Without a doubt there has been grade inflation.
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
09/18/2022 6:47 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 592Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: