Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Maria Thaler Coin Pendant With Opposite Wording

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,080Next Topic  

New Zealand
1 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  01:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Inheritedgubbins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In amongst some inherited gubbins from my great grandfather was this. The wording is not quite right from what I can see.
Is it some ye olde tourist tat?

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20605 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If in good silver, then a jewelry copy.
If in poor silver, then fake, unfortunately.
Either way, not genuine.

Jewelry value only.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waddya know ? I just past 20k posts !
Edited by sel_69l
09/20/2022 02:16 am
Learn More...
Australia
14960 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  02:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maria Theresa thalers were, and still are, quite popular "jewellery coins" in Eastern Africa, where they are made into quite elaborate pendants; check out the example in this old thread.

So it looks like someone wanted to make such a jewellery-piece, but didn't have access to a genuine* thaler - or simply wanted to make one cheaper than using a genuine coin would have allowed.

* - yes, pretty much every single Maria Theresa thaler you're likely to find in Africa is a restrike, and thus not technically "genuine" either.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
120816 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
24044 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
United Kingdom
18 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2023  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spyro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That just doesn't look right. I think it's a copy. The style of the lettering on both sides is wrong. The arrangement of the wing feathers on the reverse is different. Not done enough posts yet to qualify for uploading pictures but there are several in some of the forums that I've seen, which should help. If it can be removed from its mount it should weigh 27 to 29 grams and should be between 39 and 41 mm across. (There were 150 or so varieties from about 8 different mints, all dated 1780) It should have an edge inscription which reads JUSTITIA ET CLEMENTIA with various rosebuds and arabesques that help to identify its origin. Good luck.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,080Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: