Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1800 Half Cent With Some Interesting Errors!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 293Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  9:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone! I hope that you'ere enjoying your evening! Here is a F15 NGC graded 1800 1/2 Cent, with some Errors. How many can you find? It's a bit mucked-up with some old traces of lacquer on the reverse... but the Errors are evident in spite of that.

Edited by Oldgrouchyguy
09/20/2022 9:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71608 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you're referring to Liberty not being fully struck up, that is not an error.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog: It's an Obstructed Strike; how do you explain it? It's not just a strike through (those are on the back)

Edited by Oldgrouchyguy
09/20/2022 11:16 pm
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  11:12 am  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
c-1. only die marriage for the date.

i see misaligned dies and some die cracks. both of those things are expected when it comes to the Half Cent of 1800.
i like large cents. I currently have >220 Sheldon varieties and >230 middle date Newcomb varieties.

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LIB is obstructed-you can see the outline of the piece of metal crunched by the die, which is different than the strike-through seen on the reverse at the upper left leaf, the misaligned dies for the 1800 is a pretty rare occurrence-and that does not explain why the denticles fade out over LIB (that's because the obstruction couldn't be struck-through), as there is on one die pair for the date-no real need for readjustment. You have to L-O-O-K. The L of Liberty is chopped in half, the I is 2/3 complete-can't happen with struck-through grease
Edited by Oldgrouchyguy
09/21/2022 12:58 pm
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the dies were taken apart and reground before your coin was struck. yours is the 4th or 5th die state.

first the dies start off perfect. (these are usually struck on cut down spoiled cents with variable weight)
then they rust, with pits in the obverse field (the coin will have bumps the dies had pits) (also spoiled cents)
after the rust the dies are reground. this removes a tool mark above LF on the reverse. (bolton & watts soho mint planchet stock weighing 5.44 grains)
there is crumbling and cracking that becomes apparent in LIB on the obverse (soho mint)
in the late die state the rim is entirely crumbled off the die from 8:00 all the way to the E in liberty. (soho)

the cut down cent stock was mostly struck during the spring of 1800. the 191,786 bolton and watt blanks arrived on the 8th of july 1800, but werent put into production untill 17 september. with a total mintage of 202,908 for the date the cent stock examples are quite a bit scarcer than the soho stock. the dies were sitting unused for months at a time and then were put back into service.

my understanding is that what you are seeing there is the late stage deterioration of the die.
i like large cents. I currently have >220 Sheldon varieties and >230 middle date Newcomb varieties.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2559 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see MADs, which is nice. But I see the coin is slabbed - are there errors noted on the slab?
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 293Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: