Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

5 Cents 1994 With Concentric Lathe Lines

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 291Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  4:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm surprised this coin has not been discussed yet on the forum.

Here is a 5 Cents with Concentric Lathe Lines almost everywhere on the obverse. This is a circulated coin but the lines are still quite visible across the field and the device.

I know this error type can be found on few coins in USA, but it seems to be quite rare in Canada.

But if you take a look at the new edition of MK Blais Catalog on Canadian Coins, a 1 Cent 1994 seems also to exist with such Concentric Lines.

The 5 cents 1994 is the only coin I've seen by now.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
609 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cownick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems to be found on US. coins the most.
The only research I found anything on was American based on concentric lathe lines. The first coin I found it on was while going through Canadian uncirculated 1965 5 cents . I found 4 or 5 in the same roll.
I believe this to be an error because of improper die preparation or failure to polish the die correctly. The US. sight said there was no added premium. Nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4455 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The concentric lines on the queen can't be from the planchet because that would but them recessed inside the die elements. Those lines were put there after the coin was struck. I also wouldn't believe anything written by MKB.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
609 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cownick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.error-ref.com/lathe_rin...incoln_cent/
Lathe rings
Definition: These concentric rings are produced by a lathe which shapes the cone-shaped face of the unfinished working die. The cone is supposed to be polished smooth before hubbing. If polishing is omitted or inadequate, the surface will remain covered by concentric lathe marks which will not be erased by subsequent hubbing.
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link Cownick.

Few of these coins have been found. I have 3 of them, but the others have well circulated.

I've seen one of them in MS64. That was a great coin with all lines well defined !

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 291Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: