Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 LMC Dropped Letter Or Damage?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,097Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3832 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  10:05 pm Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just found this one in a roll. Not sure what to think about it. Incuse L-shaped mark on the bottom of the bust. Dropped letter or damage? Would like to field some opinions, so what do you think?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3475 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sure does but it doesn't quite match the L in PLURIBUS from the reverse.

Hmmm ...

Is that another incuse curve to the left of the one you mention?
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
09/24/2022 10:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3832 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is that another incuse curve to the left of the one you mention?

Yes that is. Also another small dot in the field below the L.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47452 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the L raised or incuse?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2495 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being incuse and the correct orientation, I don't know what else it could be, other than a dropped letter. Very cool looking.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
3475 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Incuse L-shaped mark on the bottom of the bust. Dropped letter or damage? ...

Looks incuse to me as well.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12310 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1527 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning towards a contact mark from another coin PMD. It does look interesting but not being BU and the shape not matching other devices I don't think this is a dropped filling.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Pillar of the Community
United States
4991 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It isn't the same size as the L in LIBERTY or E PLURIBUS UNUM, with it being incuse I'm leaning towards damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9713 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, post mint (strike) damage from another coin.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2495 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guys, I understand you wanting to make this damage but why is the orientation correct, it would be reversed, if damage from another coin. Whether it be an "L" a partial "E" or a 7, it is still oriented correctly and I'm sure the OP knows this or they would not have taken the time to post.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
1601 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is a dropped letter.
Isn't it just hard dried grease that fell out of a letter like the L-LIBERTY? If that's so. It wouldn't necessarily be the exact size of a letter.
When I first saw it I thought part of T from STATES.
But second thought the T wouldn't/couldn't drop onto the obverse side.
Edited by RobO411
09/25/2022 7:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47452 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  04:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is that to the left of the L? Are we going to need Mike on this one?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
09/26/2022 04:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1601 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost looks like the tail of the 9
But maybe all isn't dropped stuff.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2196 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A dropped letter would not be incised. It would be pressed into the coin when the dies come together. In order to be incised, it would have to be part of the die.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2495 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A dropped letter would not be incised. It would be pressed into the coin when the dies come together. In order to be incised, it would have to be part of the die.

-makecents-
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,097Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: