Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Philip The Arab And His Wife Otacilia Severa

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 501Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
848 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  08:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Even with the obvious flaw in the flan of this recent acquisition it still appealed to me. The portraits of Philip the Arab and his wife Otacilia Severa retain good detail, and the coin didn't cost much, so it made a nice addition to the Roman Provincials. It had been referenced as Prieur 461, and a search revealed it on the RPC site as, RPC VIII, (unassigned; ID 48923). There were twelve coins listed on the page, but only one with the "MB" of the ΜΕCΑΜΒΡΙΑΝΩΝ legend on the reverse isolated between the ears of corn and Demeter's head. (The first coin under "Specimens of this coin type", located in the Berlin, Staatliche Museen (Germany), seen on the link below.)

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/type/48923

Though I found little about Philip's early years, what I found about his later life proved very interesting. I can only wonder at the huge celebrations that there would have been during the 1,000th anniversary of the founding of Rome in 248 AD for instance. Much of the life of Philip has already been posted in the forum, so I'll not duplicate it.

Information about Philip's family though appears to be sparse and contradictory. Philip married Marcia Otacilia Severa, daughter of a Roman Governor in c. 234. Many accounts mention that they had a son, Marcus Julius Philippus Severus, a.k.a. Philip II, one account mentions three sons, while others mention two sons and a daughter. In Wikipedia they are named as, Marcus Julius Philippus Severus (Philip II), born in 238, a daughter called Julia Severa or Severina who is known from numismatic evidence but is never mentioned by the ancient Roman sources, and a son named Quintus Philippus Severus, born in 247.

Some accounts say that Philip the Arab and Philip II were both killed in battle by Decius in 249, while others report that the Praetorian Guard in Rome killed Philip II after hearing the news of the death of his father, to ensure a smooth transition of power. Marcia Otacilia Severa, was apparently hugging her child during the murder, was spared, left Rome and lived the rest of her life in obscurity. However Livius Org gives the date of the death of Otacilia as 248, a year earlier. Even though he had a short life there is a large number of coins attributed to Philip II to be found on the Wildwinds site.

Philip I & Otacilia Severa. Tetrassarion of Mesembria in Thrace. Spring of 244 until August 246.
Obverse: Confronted busts of Philip I, laureate, draped and cuirassed, right, seen from rear, and Otacilia Severa, diademed and draped, left, wearing stephane. Obverse Inscription: ΑΥΤ Μ ΙΟΥΛ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC ΑΥΓ Μ WΤΑΚΙΛ CEΒΗΡΑ CEΒ. Reverse: Demeter standing left, holding grain ears and long torch. Reverse inscription: ΜΕCΑΜΒΡΙΑΝΩΝ. Bronze. Diameter: 27mm. Weight: 9.80gm.
Ref: Prieur 461
Edited by Novicius
09/30/2022 08:18 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6515 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent write-up and very nice confronted-busts Provincial. Thanks for sharing, Jim.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
848 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Bob.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2648 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice addition Jim
I've yet to add a confronted bust type to my collection but do find them appealing.
For such tiny portraits your coin does show the couple looking quite lifelike and really reminiscent of their portraits portrayed on their own individual coinage that we are all familiar with.

Quote:
I can only wonder at the huge celebrations that there would have been during the 1,000th anniversary of the founding of Rome in 248 AD

Not 248 but a coin celebrating the arrival of the Royal Family into Rome in 245 AD.
Philip I Antoninianus AD 244 / 249
Obverse..IMP M IVL PHILIPPUS AVG.... radiate, draped bust right.
Reverse..LIBERALITAS AVGGII... liberalitus standing right holding abacua and cornucopiae.
RIC 38b
4th Issue 5th Officina...This donative was given to celebrate the arrival of the Royal Family in Rome AD245

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
848 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've yet to add a confronted bust type to my collection but do find them appealing.

Same here, Paul. This is the first one in my collection.

Your Philip I Antoninianus is very nicely detailed and toned. The portrait of Philip is so lifelike, and I've said it many times, but the skill of these ancient engravers is amazing. It is such a pity that we will never know who they were.

Thanks for sharing it.
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice report. Thank you for posting!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 501Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: