Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 D Sacagawea With A Star On The Edge.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 402Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  11:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Flowme911 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not sure my photos have really captured it, but it is clear as can be in hand. This coin leads me to believe that the mint possibly experimented with edge lettering since at least the start of the Sac Program. I especially like this because it is not as thin as the later stars, but thicker and identical to the stars on the reverse in shape and size, with the only difference other than location being that the edge star is incuse. Location is on the edge, closer to the reverse and positioned directly in line with the "E" of the word ONE on the reverse. The star is not fully struck, assumably from either issues that needed to be worked out in the striking process, or because the coin was restruck in the plain collar...just not good enough to remove the entire star. Open to comments, and/or opinions, so let me know what you think :)

Edited by Flowme911
09/30/2022 11:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60422 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The devices on the edge of a coin are incuse. So damage could happen on that area, altering the incuse devices from coin contact, or could be added on the coins surfaces. Can't see what you are seeing on the image, but 99% of the time an incuse mark is often just damage to the coin. On business strike coins the outer incuse devices are added post strike. On the Proof coins, the incuse die edge devices are added by the collar during the strike. thus these are non reed coins.

'

So why is this step done on the proof coins and not the business strike coins?
First consider on a proof coin, they are struck twice. On a business strike coins are only struck once. Thus the edge is necessary to also be struck twice, thus the need for both strikes to be done in the same location at the same time.

CoopHome: Are edge strikes of the incuse devices all done the same? no. proof strikes are different as they are struck twice (or more on some coins)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73532 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much sharper image needed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12310 Posts
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Flowme911 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me see if I can get a sharper photo or 2. I'm limited to my phone for taking photos, which I barely feel capture any detail, then further limited by the photo editor on here that takes my already mediocre photo and reduces it to poor quality to get it under 300kb. No, I do not blame the equipment nor the editor software...I see some great pics loaded by others on here...just saying I'm not the guy you want to have capture a special moment on camera!
Thank you for the info and photos Coop, those are so cool! I have absolutely considered possible. Intentional alteration and accidental damage. I am suspicious of all incuse features on coins to be honest, but the location itself, and the actual detail in hand alleviates my doubt. If I could, I would just send it too you to have a look and see what I mean lol, but I cannot afford attributions etc
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12310 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your phone should do just fine, once you get used to working with it. I have used my phone to take all the pictures I have posted up so far - have a look at my signature links to see examples.
I usually set my zoom in function on the phone to about 3.0x to 4.0x and then I can be farther away for the auto-focus to work properly.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hobbs9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You said

"This coin leads me to believe that the mint possibly experimented with edge lettering since at least the start of the Sac Program"

If you think the Denver mint was experimenting with edge devices in 2000, that info should be available in mint reports. Have you done any research on sites like the Newman Numismatic Portal? Without some supporting evidence, you just have some fuzzy pics and an opinion.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3656 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Except some studies on new materials for coins and studies for already minted coins, the Mint do not publish the experiments they perform. Even if it is an experiment, such experimental coins never will see the outside of the essay lab. What popular is believe and the folklore ephemera, do not apply to the way the Mint perform theirs activities.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Flowme911 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Posted a few more pics, hope they are better.
Opinions rule in this industry though Hobbs, although not necessarily mine. I have no idea how an incuse star, like the ones seen on later edge lettered coins, got there. One of the new pics I posted show the edge of the coin on to of another coin with raised stars to show the similarity in design. Quite honestly I'm just here to share, in my hand the star is quite evident and unmistakable.I think it is neat, so I shared it, that was my only opinion. How or when or why it came to be I will most likely never know, I just remarked on some possibilities, I did not state them as facts. Thank all for looking and your comments :)
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Flowme911 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As to when any mint started testing/experimenting with the edge lettering for modern coins, I would have to believe that it went on for a number of years to be honest, just my opinion, because I doubt they just said "Hey, lets try this..." For 2007 and threw it all together that same year. Additionally, I don't feel like it was coincidental that the same planchets were chosen for the presidential coin program, especially if testing were being done with the Sacs. Would they have started 7 years before implementation? I don't know. But I would wager that the thinner stars used, as opposed to the design on this coins edge, was just one tiny result of testing that resulted in a higher quality strike if so. Now how it survived when any other pattern or lettering was "erased" after any such test, again I don't know, but I doubt it would be the only survivor.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 402Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: