Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Quickie Question. Are These Spikes Die Chips? Updated 2nd Spike.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 364Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
92 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  9:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PileOfCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I can't find any info what these things are. I see them on the top of the L in Liberty. But on the top of the L will be what I call spikes. It'll have a small spike on top of or below a letter. Like the one in the photo. Ive seen them before but no idea where. Sorry it's prolly a stupid easy question I just would love to know.

So going through same 1955-D Bu rolls and same letter different spike location.
And removed the word Nipple.

Edited by PileOfCoins
10/04/2022 10:38 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12268 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12268 Posts
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PileOfCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two different coins both 1955-D
Edited by PileOfCoins
10/04/2022 10:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PileOfCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is where I'm usually seeing them. I've always seen them and would just love to cure that curiosity. Everywhere the red is

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60407 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or unpolished die flow lines or non faded die scratches. Not a big deal. It would make a markers for a die variety, but by it shelf, it is just an indicator of a certain die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/05/2022 12:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PileOfCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok here is the ones I'm normally seeing. Are these the same things?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17063 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have to increase the size that much to see them, then they are pretty much irrelevant.
Even the third party graders only use a 5X glass to see something. I think that most coins
if you blow up the image that much, you will find some sort of anomoly on them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60407 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2022  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a die chip on that area. When a piece of the die breaks off on the die it leaves a void, the coins struck with that die will show that void raised like on that device, showing the shape of the void that is now on that die. On the fields, that is called die flow lines. Each time a coin is struck, these lines are showing metal movement, (die wear on the die) when during the strike the metal of the towards the rim is pushed outwards to fill the collar. Plain collar on the non Silver coins in the past, and reeds on the Silver coins of the past. (Pre 1964 silver coins) Even though some clad coins still have reeds today.

The planchets are slightly smaller on the coins pres-strike and thus the reeds are pressed into the rims. (Those with out reeds are showing the flat edge on the outside edge of the coin.

CoopHome: How are reeds added to the edge of coins? during the strike the metal is moved from the center outwards into the collar, thus die wear and edges are added to the coin as they are smaller than the finished coins
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/08/2022 12:08 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 364Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: