Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grade 50 Cent NFLD 1870

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 520Next Topic  
Valued Member
Netherlands
83 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  05:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gebs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What would be the grade of this 50 cent from newfoundland 1870

I think VF-20

The toning is quite dark

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20586 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nVG ( British grading).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4627 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-20 cleaned
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74939 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VF-25 (Sheldon).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
907 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think VF-25 is fair...depending on who you sent it to it might even make VF-30.

@okiecoiner - what makes you think this has been cleaned?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
783 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Id put VF30 on it but I'm generous with the NL 50 cent pieces.

This coin does NOT look cleaned to me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
783 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh nice coin btw!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4627 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was cleaned a long time ago. For a coin that circulated quite a bit like this one, there would be some even minor dirt or grime build-up in the nooks and crannies of her hair and under the serifs. There is no dirt, just nice toning from 150 years of air exposure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
783 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin was barely circulated. If it was cleaned, it was done so long ago I don't think it would matter to anyone looking to buy it.
Valued Member
Canada
313 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2022  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy888 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TheDeductible I disagree. If the coin had barely circulated, it would be an EF-AU. Since it's a VF coin, its been fairly well circulated by definition. Also, if the coin has been dipped correctly then you are correct, it doesn't matter. However if it was cleaned using an abrasive technique then it absolutely matters regardless if it was done 150 years ago or this morning.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
783 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2022  07:25 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lightly circulated, me thinks. Where is the wear? The rims look very clean and free from marks. The only wear is on the highpoints on the obverse. The minting process wasn't as fool proof when this coin was minted and even when first struck a lot of the coins would not have graded better than EF or AU. Add some light circulation and that coin drops to VF30. As dies wore down, struck coins were less high grade than the ones first struck. Just because a coin is first struck doesn't mean its in MS condition. Remember, this coin was struck 152 years ago when the minting process was much different than it is today. Coins went in bags and got banged around before the public even touched them!

I'm always open to discussion. If you don't agree with me, tell me why you think I'm wrong!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
907 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2022  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in between these two views but leaning towards @TheDeductable. In the NFLD 50c, that long, heavy braid on the obverse is key. It sits very high on the profile of the coin and, as such, its a sitting duck for wear. By the time one of these has dropped to VF, that braid is generally in pretty rough shape...it ends up as a single, odd-looking mass of silver. This one still looks like a braid and, unless I'm mistaken, you can still see at least some of the delineation of most/all of the knots. That is rare.

If you look at the eye, the bun and the ribbons, all of which sit a lower, you can see more typical wear generally associated with a VF or even EF 50c. The ribbons retain all of their glorious 3-dimensionality. And the rims and surfaces are in very good shape. You can see at least a partial and in some cases full split in the laurel leaves.

Victoria has a minor knife wound across her neck...that detracts at this magnification but I'll bet that coin-in-hand, you can barely see it.

Similar story with the reverse - minor surface contusion around the date but the 3-dimensionality of the ornamentation is all there...you can tell which ribbon is passing over which in all cases. That's solid VF/EF material.

"Barely circulated" might be a bit of an exaggeration (@TheDeductable is prone to modest hyperbole!); this coin has seen a few pockets. But at some point, I'm guessing before 1874, it ceased circulation. Someone gave it to their grandkid and they held onto it and then passed it on to their grandkid 40 years later. And so on down the line.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
783 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2022  08:24 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice writeup @Silver101.

I totally agree, especially with regard to my 'barely circulated' comments, allowing that the coin was put in circulation for a couple of years, but limited to perhaps the fingers on one hand.

Also, remember that the 50 cent coin was the least circulated of all the NL coins, so even when in circulation it would not have have changed hands as often as 5, 10, or 20 cent piece from 1870.
Valued Member
Netherlands
83 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2022  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gebs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the grading, and also the interesting discussion. I'm very pleased I could add this coin to my collection
Bedrock of the Community
United States
26118 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2022  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-25 details, older cleaning.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 520Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: