Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Comparative Analysis Of Two 1459 Ad Kreutzers Issued By Wiener Neustadt

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 244Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
25418 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  7:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As some of you know, an area of particular interest for me is early dated or datable coins. To that end, several years ago I started a thread to follow Levinson's "The Early Dated Coins of Europe 1234-1500": http://goccf.com/t/269713

These types of coins also turn up toward the end of our "How Far Can We Go" series of threads, although the current edition is still in the early 20th century: http://goccf.com/t/428286

Particular to the reason for this thread, though, the Austrian Duchy of Wiener-Neustadt minted similar Kreutzers for the five years from 1456 to 1460 AD, inclusive. The design includes four small shields arranged to form a cross on the obv, along with some variation of FRIDERIC RO IMPERA. The reverse contains the Holy Roman Empire ruler's sigil/monogram (AEIOV--more on that here: http://goccf.com/t/260883) plus ANNO:DOMINI and a four-digit date, with archaic typeforms on the various numbers and full size annulets separating each digit. Unfortunately, the flans are often split with flat spots in the design, perhaps due to low quality silver content. With my Sigma Metalytics Precious Metal Verifier, I feel pretty sure that the silver content is below 80% on these coins.

I recently picked up what was listed as a 1460-dated Kreutzer of Wiener-Neustadt. This date is quite rare, with only an estimated 4-6 available in private hands, and would join its brothers in mine collection dated 1458 and 1459 AD. After my analysis of remnant date, however, I feel that this new coin is actually also dated 1459 AD. These coins, which can be attributed as Levinson IV-7 are shown below. The predicate coin is 0.7 g and 20 mm in diameter, while the new coin is 0.7 g and 16-18 mm in diameter. Perhaps the flan of the new coin was clipped sometime in the past several hundred years to harvest a little silver or perhaps this flan was a just a little thicker and smaller in diameter--hard to know for sure.

Predicate coin:

The last digit of the date (nine) is most visible on this coin and is located at about 11:30 on the rev. The number five (which at this time looked much like a modern number seven) spans both sides of a massive flan split. I think that neither of the first two digits are legible, but there is enough here to convince me that the date is 1459.

New coin:

The first digit of the date is clearly visible at about 8 o'clock on the rev and looks a bit like a toffee in a plastic wrapper. With each subsequent digit, less and less is visible though. The bottom half of the second digit is mostly visible at 9 o'clock. Recall that at this time, the typeform for the number four looked a bit like a the modern cursive lowercase "l". Look at 10 o'clock, the bottom of the third digit to me looks mostly like a modern number 7 (which again would make it actually a 5). I simply can't see how that would be a number six instead. Only a whisper of the final digit is visible, and of the four possibilities, a number nine seems most likely to me.

I'm interested in your thoughts on my analysis as I regard it as tentative. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1201 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are right, Spence, 1459 it is. The 3rd digit cannot possibly be a 6, but it does look rather much like a 7 (i.e., a 5). The last digit, well, it is hard to see ... it could go for a 0, or a 9 with the tail withered. But the 3rd digit, the 5, gives it away.
Learn More...
United States
25418 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx @era. I'm bummed, but the search for a 1460 dated coin continues for me.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samoth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Concur that it's a '59. The gothic 5s tend to have thicker ascenders in this coin, and what I can see in your example follows others of that date.

I can't make out any trace of the fourth numeral; only the annulet following '5.'
Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm bummed, but the search for a 1460 dated coin continues for me.
Learn More...
United States
25418 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
can't make out any trace of the fourth numeral; only the annulet following '5.
'

Yes that's true on this overall shot. When I hold the coin with a low angle light and magnify just this area, I can see a small bit of a swoop at the bottom of the fourth digit. I suppose it could be an eight as well, but it seems most like the bottom of a number nine.

Also thx @jbuck for the support!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also thx @jbuck for the support!
If I cannot offer wisdom, I can at least give that.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: