Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Massive Coin Stash. Need Advice.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 702Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  01:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add garyc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone I joined this forum about a month ago because a lady I know talked to me about the coins she has saved since 1955. I suggested to her not to go cash them in for face value that she needed to learn more about coins and how to identify coins that may be worth more than face value. Well one thing led to another and I have volunteered to help her out with this task. I don't know where to begin and am asking for some expert advice on where to go with this.
She has a ceader chest about 2 1/2 feet long, 18 inches deep and about 18 inches tall FULL of coins. I took a Mason jar full right off the top just to get started here. What I am finding on the top is nothing newr than 1995 mainly quarters a lot of half dollars and a some dollar coins and very few penny's. I am sure that the deeper I go the older the coins will be. If this is the case than I should be pulling out old coins that are in very good condition. Enclosed is a photo of just what I pulled out and filled the Mason jar with, this isn't 1% of what she has. On the top I found a sack with 2 dollar bills mark bands saying $100.00 several Morgon and Liberty dollars back to the1920's.
I really need to know what is the best way to handle this to maximize her return on such a massive stash. I feel honored that she trusts me to help with this task.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4488 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Start by segregating 1964 and earlier dimes, quarters, halves, and dollars. These are 90% silver. 1965-1970 half dollars are 40% silver. That's a start.
Edited by jimbucks
11/22/2022 01:57 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47386 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you know how to recognize errors and varieties?
First separate them into piles by denominations.
Here is a link to grading:https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/
Here is a link on values,also check eBay sold values:http://m.numismedia.com/rarecoinprices.htm
Do not clean any of them without posting photos here first.
Only handle them by the edges.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
11/22/2022 04:37 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8460 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

You have taken on a large task, but one that many of us would be happy to do. We'll support you from afar.

I agree with what you have been told so far. I'll refine that advise a bit by suggesting step by step directions of what I would do:

1. Break the task into smaller chunks - such as your mason jar. Fill the mason jar and completely search/sort it before going back for another fill.
2. Initial sort is by denomination.
3. During the initial sort immediately set aside as 'valuable' any coins from obsolete designs; i.e., Morgan dollars, Walking Liberty halves, Standing Liberty quarters, Buffalo nickels, etc. These have numismatic value above face value so she is a winner already.
4. Go through the sorted dime, quarter and half dollar denominations and set aside any dated 1964 or prior. As noted above these are 90% silver so she is a winner with these.Note that Kennedy halves 1965-1970 are 40% silver so save those as well.
5. Now you have to decide how much effort you're able to devote to this project. What you have left should be modern circulating coins that are not silver. A collector with reasonable knowledge could pick most of the key dates from memory and sort quickly through them. If that is not you then you'll need a reference such as the Red Book. Otherwise dump them into a return pile. Even doing so you will have maximized her value by steps 3 and 4.

As John1 says - don't clean them. Show us photos of any you feel have significant interest/value and we'll help.

Best of wishes and have fun with the project.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9948 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Love wading through new (and large) coin stashes! I agree with all comments above. Should be a fun adventure.
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! That's quite a stash. Maybe she is the reason for the so-called coin shortage in the country.

I had something similar a year or so ago with my dad's stuff, although not nearly as voluminous as what you have. I also was starting at an advantage over you, the different denominations were already sorted and except for the pennies and nickels were all pre 1964. I sorted them all by year and mint mark and went from there.

Good luck on this endeavor. Keep us posted.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1014 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Envy your upcoming task. Good luck.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12178 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73356 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice from all.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18187 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, large task indeed . If you know nothing about errors I would not bother looking for them . Real fast go through every coin and pick out all Wheat Pennies, Buffalo nickels ,Jefferson Nickels 1942-1945. And Dimes Quarters and Halves before 1965 will be 90% silver, and any coin that looks unique or different .
If she really started putting away coins in 1955 then I would look at any 1955-P Lincoln pennies for the king of Doubled Dies . The entire obverse , less the bust will be extremely Doubled and can be seen with the naked eye .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow. Love wading through new (and large) coin stashes! I agree with all comments above. Should be a fun adventure.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18283 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some great advice here. On top of the what the others have said, I would separate by denomination. One thing to look for is the moderns in mint state. A lot of the 70-80's coins are TOUGH to find in high grades. GOOD LUCK!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2149 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason to pick out the silver coins (dates already described by others above) is they have value due to their silver contentt, currently about 15x face valie, for example each half dollar is worth at least $7.50. Such coins are in demand at coin shops and online. Silver coins may also have a numismatic premium, that is, a value above their metal content, most such coins are dated before 1934, or are in excellent condition. The same holds for gold coins, which have a metal value much higher than silver.

Coins that show no sign of wear are considered mint state, and their value can rise dramatically the fewer marks they have on them. Such marks often happen by impacts from other coins, so when you find a coin in great condition, hold it only by its edges, and don't let it be hit by other objects. For now, to help protect it you might temporarily put it in a fresh, clean envelope or baggie by itself. Based on your photo, there won't be many coins that deserve such protection, maybe just 1 of 500. This protection is important because marks from hits can quickly devalue a $1000 coin into a $100 one, or less.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18187 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ gayrc , please let us know if you find any coins that we have
mentioned .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2149 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me add info about coins dated 1971 and later, of which you will find many.

Only a tiny fraction of such coins have a premium value. Most of those with a premium are top grade coins, ones that look pristine, and error coins. Distinguishing mint errors from damage takes practice, plus time consuming viewing under magnification. Unless you have oodles of free time, of the coins dated 1971 and later, I would isolate and save for later review only the pristine looking ones, and the rest I would take to a bank or counting machine, simply out of practicality. The alternative is to closely examine each one of the thousands, something that your eyes will tire of long before you can finish.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6113 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on getting the job to go through all of them, you are getting some good advice take your time doing this, If it was me it would take a year if not more to go through all of them.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 702Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: