Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 Jefferson Nickel / Satin Finish?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 266Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
436 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  03:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good evening. I just wondered if there was a satin finish for the 1971 Jefferson nickel? Here's a few images of one that appears satin like that I pulled from the wild....

Bedrock of the Community
United States
47515 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know of a satin finish that year.Is that pinkish color true to life?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10067 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect the lighting used to take the photos influenced the tone/tint we're seeing. Maybe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
947 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a very nice business strike but if it is the rare proof with no s then it is worth over 1000 dollars.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18266 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice business strike , not satin finish . Nice steps for a 71-P in the wild .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73645 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attractive example, fairly normal-looking.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2179 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the master was redesigned for 1971, leading to fresh, satin looking surfaces on some coins
Valued Member
United States
476 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No satin finish for 1971s https://www.PCGS.com/prices/detail/...st-active/sp Not a proof (and therefore not a no s proof), and Nick10 is on target with the remastering for that year https://coinweek.com/coins/coin-pro...rson-nickel/

The finish is a bit typical for that year actually, see some mint state examples here https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...-5c-fs/84086 ...But does have good steps and a strong strike for that year. 1971 Jefferson nickel value depends on the condition, grade and if the steps are fully struck on the building (Full Steps) on mint state examples, but FS is rare normally but the 1971 Nickel is one of the first in a long time where Full Step versions become available in larger quantities.
Edited by datadragon
11/22/2022 10:30 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12365 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 266Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: