Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Error Or Circulation Damage? 1972 Voyageur Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 393Next Topic  

Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  7:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PokeyCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am slowly going through my dollars and found this anomaly on one of my 1972's and am not up on what possible error could have caused the "7" to be so faint at the top. There is no other damage on the coin.
I've googled to try and find similar cases but no luck so thought I would turn to this knowledgeable group. Do you think it is a mint error or could it have happened in circulation?
All advice appreciated.
(Have included a shot of one of my normal 1972's for comparison, even though the lighting is different I hope the damage is obvious)

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20344 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to my eye to be impact damage by a small metal rod punch like object on the cross bar of the '7'.
I assume that the damage may have been accidental, and may have happened in circulation, but it is impossible to be definite.

I note the there is a small oval shaped depression area surrounding the cross bar of the '7'.

Thx for the excellent pix.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4556 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, struck and chipped off by something, then continued to circulate.
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PokeyCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou for the responses.
You make perfect sense and I can see how it could happen.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 393Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: