Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Henry VIII Great Debasement Copper Groat.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 290Next Topic  

United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  07:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jamgskn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello folks.
Interested in opinions on this coin.
I believe it to be a copper groat from Henry VIII Debasement period where he tried to balance the books.
26mm 4.8g
Feel free to give your own opinions, I'm not easily offended.
All the best
Jim

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2614 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well you seem to know more than I...

I am trying to decipher the obverse inscription... HENRIC III DR GRA REX AGL Z F?

Such coins are interesting but tricky

United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamgskn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, yes similar issues here. I was thrown off by the base metal at first but at least got me to read some interesting articles about the coin debasement that took place in order to help balance the books. I'm surprised Liz Truss in the UK didn't suggest plastic &
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Notatzaddik to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you get a better photo of the face on the obverse please?
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamgskn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope these are better
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Notatzaddik to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the wiki article on The Great Debasement. The image sees to match.
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamgskn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, will check that out.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This does not look like a genuine coin to me - possibly a modern cast reproduction?

Sorry, your extra pictures are more blurred than the first ones.
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamgskn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's a cast replica,
It fits when you read that during debasement they ditched the silver completely in some groats and produced in copper. I'm sure it will find it's true identity eventually, too interesting to offload.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 290Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: