Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello Experts! Retired And Selling Collection.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 313Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  08:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mackclauser to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone. I retired a year ago and have decided to sell my collection of mostly NGC certified Ancient Roman and some British coins. I am in Virginia, USA. So, I guess the most important question is who do you trust to auction your coins and get the best return? I have slight experience with Stacks Bower but I'm looking at Forvm Ancient Coins to auction the collection.

I have a large collection of Roman, including a set of 12 Caesars, with my most prized coin being a LIFETIME Julius Caesar 44 BC. It is the second of the three coins struck in 44 BC. ICG VF-30, RRC-480/10, AN779024.

My British collection ranges between Edward the Confessor 1042 up to George III 1810.

I have no desire to sell them on my own mainly because I have no idea of today's value and I really do not want to get into selling individually and shipping. Not to mention scam artists out there. I know the selling commission varies between different auction houses too. Who can honestly offer a little guidance? Thank you!
Learn More...
United States
118161 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to a more appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3906 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

If it's a substantial collection and it sounds like it is, a couple of options I am aware of are:

Heritage - coins.ha.com
Great Collections - https://www.greatcollections.com

Pillar of the Community
United States
681 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF! Vcoins has dealers that will make offers or perhaps sell at Vcoins auctions with commission. CNG coins will make offer if you want to sell direct to dealer.

IMO high grade expensive coins would do better at auction. Low grade rather common might be easier selling them directly to a dealer.

Dealer offers, like other product/collectible businesses, will tend to be a wholesale price so they can mark up to current retail.

There may be a CCF member dealer you could work with that has a eBay store or online store. I know some don't care much for eBay due to fakes, but there are legit ancient coin dealers there. I just checked eBay sold auctions, a Julius Caesar denarius, slabbed, recently sold for about $2,500.

Through my years of collecting I saved the seller's photos or took my own so I have pics of them all. Someday when/if I decide to sell, I can mail a flash drive with pics of my collection to dealers so they can get a idea of what I have. I know some dealers will travel to look at collections if they are considerable. Obviously auction houses will have directions how they can examine the collection, mail them insured with a itemized list you made, etc.

I also have a lifetime Julius Caesar denarius but not slabbed.
Edited by livingwater
11/23/2022 11:41 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
996 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have also sold some of my coins on consignment (20%) through FORVM
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/

However, if you're coins are graded and slabbed, you could sell directly through eBAY. You would just have to research to what they have recently sold for.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: