Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1913 Buffalo Nickel Var 1

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 254Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
194 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KerryKz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Posting a cpl nickels. Trying to work on my grading skill on these things. Cause I'm terrible right now. Thanks all!!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73205 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VG-08.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18146 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1913-P Type 1 G-06 -VG-08 .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13292 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Early buffs are one of the more difficult series to grade due to all the die issues, parings and polishing that took place. you cant just go by photograde you need to understand what was going on at the mint at any particular time. I've been working on it for years and fortcollins was amazing at imparting knowledge on these. he hasnt been around for a while and I surely miss his assessment.

this one I have at F12
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18146 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this one I have at F12

You may be right about the die issues of this coin but in my opinion there's also a lot of wear on this example . VG-08 -10 tops .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13292 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but in my opinion there's also a lot of wear on this example . VG-08 -10 tops

here's why I called a F coin

my first look showed sharper definition and separation of the feathers than a VG coin however the date shows more wear. I made the assumption that the date could be mostly strike or die wear. the hair on the top of the head also has more definition than a VG coin. on the reverse the horn appears to be 1/2 which indicates F and there is still some tail separation from the rear quarter. you can still see some a small amount of separation of the back fur from the shoulder and the rear hocks have very good definition which you wont see on a VG coin. I could drop it to a VG10+ since I think it boarderline. tough call but its a common coin and there is really not much value difference at these grades
Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really find this a challenging series to grade. I've learned a lot here on CCF, in that die states and strike quality really affect appearance, in addition to wear. That being said, I see the horn pushing a F, but I look at separation between rim and Buffalo head. I don't know if that's an accurate measure, but it's what I use to determine a VG. Because of that little separation and blending of rim into Liberty on the obverse, I say VG-08.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4322 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite series, and one of the most challenging!

1913 T1 is typically a well struck year, T2 suffered slightly more striking issues, but not nearly as much as some dates. Die state can also significantly impact the overall sharpness on Buffs. Tough to judge from the pics, but obverse looks MDS, while the reverse is a bit later in die state. This will cause the details to appear less sharp even in higher grades (at least the reverse).

The area surrounding the date appears to show more "wear" than other areas of the obverse. However, this could have also been from a bit of a Grease Fill or slight softer strike.

Not taking any of this into account, I could see the opinion of G06-VG08.
Taking these factors into account, I'm closer to F12 with panzaldi.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73205 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it's simple - I don't give a "Fine" grade to a coin without a full date.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13292 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To me it's simple - I don't give a "Fine" grade to a coin without a full date

coinfrog, you know better than that for this series. you just cant look at one marker. however I can see, if you were purchasing one like this, that your standard would be that. it's similar to mine regarding FSB on mercs. although TPG's use only the center band. if I was purchasing an FB coin I want all 3 bands split.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73205 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just a personal standard, of course, but I feel strongly about it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25600 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Panzaldi, this one meets F-12 with that horn. Strike issues should be considered on this one.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 254Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: