Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1865 Two Cent Coin FS 1302

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 200Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
98 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  7:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Caddis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think this is the fancy five FS 1302 variety. What do you think? Where do the numbers, FS 1302, come from? Thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73205 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely the Fancy 5.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9066 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "FS" number stands for a Fivaz-Stanton Identification number from the Cherrypicker's Guide book, created by both Bill Fivaz and JT Stanton (RIP) both old friends of mine. JT recently passed away a couple of years ago unfortunately. The book lives on as does the ID system they came up with, and is used by most third party grading services as well.

It appears the coin shown, is a close match to either one of two TPD or Tripled Punched Date varieties.

There are at least 20 different repunched dates of the fancy 5 1865 date.

I can't tell from the photo quality is there a small raised dot on the left side of the first T in trust? if so then yes. But until larger and better photos are provided not a sure thing as there are a few similar double and triple punched dates of the Fancy 5 1865 deuce.

Other areas to focus on is the Top of the serif of the D in UNITED missing completely? Partially there with light outline, again can't tell from the photo provided.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil Wat Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
11/23/2022 7:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caddis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information. I think the answer is affirmative to both of the questions raised, but I'm not too sure. I've attached additional photos, I hope they help.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9066 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you have one, the serif is missing on the D which is correct, the other TPD has a partial serif. Here are a few shots I made up to compare your coin too.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil Wat Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
11/23/2022 9:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9066 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also probably not as rare as some would think, here are some of mine (a bakers dozen) found unattributed aka "Cherrypicked" over the years at shows and eBay, I have a few nicer mint state ones in slabs.

I am trying to collect one of each possible die pair match in the entire Two Cent series, hence why I have so many of them, plus I just love my deuces, I can't seem to sell them and always end up regretting it when I finally break down or get talked into selling one.

Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caddis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty awesome. I appreciate the tutorial on the 2 Cent attributes. Thank you!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 200Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: