Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 D Mint Washington Quarter. Is This A Die Clash?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 257Next Topic  
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2022  11:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CharPDX214 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not 100%sure what the issue is with this quarter. I searched through different errors but could not find a match but being new I probably missed the match. Maybe it is post mint damage?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2328 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2022  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that coin was minted by a very late stage die, one distorted by wear
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60935 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2022  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned it is a VLDS die state, but also that year the Master Hub was also swollen. So it is normal to see the devices into the rim area. The Motto is showing the extreme die wear on the working die. This was fixed the following year with the creation of a new, Master hub die that was created.

How bad die the dies that made it to the VLDS and later dies get that year?

These are just die events when it comes to die wear. So they are common. Not a doubled die. Common this year for the 'Swollen hub issue, even on proof coins)

CoopHome: Why are the 1982 quarters designs larger than the 1983 quarters? Swollen master hub issues on the 1982 quarters
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
11/25/2022 1:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13786 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4189 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
COOP made me smile with the name of swallow head. I do not know who give the name but it is funny.

About this I can say: in 1982 and also 1983 we have two different ODV's. (Observe design variety). We have the ODV-005 or Type E and ODV-006 or Type F. for 1982 is half -half. The 1983 the "swallow" Type E is considerate been Rare. What it is the difference:
The "swallow" Type E it is the hub introduced in 1974 and the Type F hub was introduced in 1982.
1. The type E derive from the original hub of the 1932 but with the relief lowered and some details was more sharp.
2. The Type F is complete different because the diameter of the design was reduced in order to be move from the rim and to eliminate all errors which occurs from the lettering been to close from the border of the Die.

On this coin we have an Type E with a semi-retreated Die and a common Design variety for the both sides of the coin O and R.

Hope will be usefully
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: