Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 Salt River Bay Quarter - Improperly Annealed?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 331Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  10:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pulled this from a box last week. First thought toning or even PMD but appears to be something else.

Suspect is it improperly annealed but I see that misattributed all time so don't want to jump to conclusions.

Some observations:
- Weight - within normal tolerance, slightly heavy at 5.74
- Obverse exhibits some of the mottled toning I've seen on other improperly annealed quarters
- Reverse is actually quite nice. Looks to show surface copper instead of outer layer of nickel (a very thin nickel ring seems to be present on the outer rim)
- Don't think missing clad layer as weight is normal and motif is not mushy
- ...but looking at outer nickel ring it looks to be above the copper (...could be my images)

Ideas what this is?
For comparison, normal quarter is on the left.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2359 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd expect improper annealing to instead reveal itself across the coin, your example is more likely some sort of environmental exposure or staining
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I assumed as much before looking closer. But ... the close up pics look and reflect like real copper is exposed. There is a thin nickel ring evident on the outer rim. It looks to be raised above the copper (see edges in pic 3), but hard to be certain with these pics.

If real copper is exposed, I am questioning what process/event could produce this?

Could the surface have been chemically altered post mint? Possible, I guess...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61062 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the copper edge? That is the red it would be showing if it were a Missing clad issue. The Reverse devices are incuse on that design. No DDR's on that area of the coin. 70% of these have slight/heavy Machine Doubling seeing on these coins. On the area between the incuse devices and the rim, you can see striation lines on that area. Showing this is just Machine Doubling from the slide of the strike on that area of the coin. (DDR's are on the center areas if the designs)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
11/30/2022 11:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2614 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like something was splashed onto coin.
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If by "splash" you mean some of the apparent spotting in the close ups, it looks to me like that might be the very beginning of verdigris corrosion.

No, I don't think it is a missing clad layer in the normal sense (...though the nickel on the outer rim is interesting). Here's a copper comparison pic. The coloring at roughly the 3 and 8 o'clock positions seem plausible for surface copper. In hand, those areas look like a freshly minted cent.

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 331Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: