Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 Rackateer Nickel - One Of The Most Accurate I Have Seen.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 770Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
16495 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  11:07 pm Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this topic Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Reeding was done very well and every one is spaced perfectly.
The gold plating has worn as you can see.
Thought I would share

swcoin.ecrater.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9242 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice.

Interesting wear patter on the reverse where the plating is worn in a circular patter around the V.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75209 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6229 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick up Dave.
Learn More...
United States
120816 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
723 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
intresting specimen!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4546 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. Seems it may have actually been a circulating example rather than the "novelty" recently plated nickels sold by coin retailers.
Learn More...
United States
16495 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mike, everyone.
That is what I surmise as well jimbucks.
swcoin.ecrater.com
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75209 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. - the word is actually "racketeer".
Pillar of the Community
United States
4103 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2022  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seems it may have actually been a circulating example rather than the "novelty" recently plated nickels sold by coin retailers.

Agreed, BUT, these "novelty" 1883 NC nickels were also being gold-plated by some jewelers well prior to 1900 and marketed as watch fobs (jewelry ornaments). One jeweler I read about in an early newspaper article was charged and arrested, but the state had no case; this, since there was no attempt to defraud anyone. As I recall, the jeweler had displayed a bunch of the nickels in his shop window, offering them for 35 cents, apiece.

Some months ago, I watched a holed racketeer nickel sell on eBay. It realized $125!

@Vermontensium .... Might the "central reverse wear" be explained by solder and/or solder removal? Even though your piece has a reeded edge, consider that it may still have been used as a jewelry item of sorts.
Edited by ExoGuy
12/02/2022 3:32 pm
Learn More...
United States
16495 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2022  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog, right. My bad :o
swcoin.ecrater.com
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 770Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: