Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has Anyone Used ANACS Conservation Service?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 633Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  02:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm curious since I'm considering my first ever TPG submission soon. These ( inherited) coins have been in 2x2's for 50 years and my incentive is getting them into more substantial storage, an indication for heirs of what they grade, and from the conservation standpoint alleviating anything that might persist as a long-term problem. These are all silver coins and I perceive that a few of them might be described as "cloudy" or something like that. ANACS has a one price, conserve the ones that need it, style pricing instead of a percentage of the value thing the other two have. It's $49 for 20 coins so I'm thinking why not as long as I'm doing it, but I don't know what they do so I'm interested in what others may have experienced. Thanks in advance.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48432 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whomever you choose, make sure you are not paying "out" more than the coin will bring "in".
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am aware of all the opinions about value versus slabbing, but that's not a concern. My question is whether anyone has experience with ANACS conservation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7329 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if you are talking about conservation, or just slabbing. If just slabbing, I've used them a few times, and they are fine. I sent some coins to PCGS back in the 80s just for fun. Enjoy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@edweather I'm asking about conservation. It's only $49 for 20 coins so I figure why not, I'm not expert enough to know whether any of them would benefit from it or not. Their before and after images look like something some of my coins could use. https://anacs.com/anacs-conservation-service/

These are all Canadian George VI by the way, 1947 Maple Leaf, 1948 and 1949 (I have nearly every denomination from those years except a 1948 nickel). They've been in the same 2x2s since the early 70s.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've only once, in 2019, sent coins into ANACS. I did select the conservation option to avoid any potential "we won't grade this coin because it has something wrong with it, e.g., PVC residue, that conservation would have remedied" problems. Back in 2019, conservation was only $29 for up to 20 coins so it seemed like a good insurance policy to avoid any potential issues.

I sent in 19 Morgan dollars and ANACS conserved 6 of them. After conservation, the coins they conserved definitely looked brighter, i.e., more blast white, than when I sent them in. They also removed some rim toning on a couple of coins that I guess they considered unattractive as well.

ANACS doesn't tell you why or why not they choose to conserve a coin, but they do tell you if a coin was "conserved". If in their opinion their conservation techniques will enhance the coins eye appeal then, as long as you've paid for conservation, they'll conserve it.
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never used Anacs conservation, but I have used NGC conservation. It was well worth it. $49 for 20 coins is a great deal from Anacs, much more affordable than NGC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll go for it. They'll have to go into flips for grading anyway so I'll take "before" images and see. Yes, the other two TPGs charge a % of the value and not only is that way expensive, it makes me suspicious of their decision making. If my 1948 $1 grades MS63 at NGC it would cost 4% and $120 for that one coin.
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaturnD51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always used the conservation service when I sent kind of residue coins to be graded at ANACS. They did an excellant job on the coins they selected. They consider whether the conservation on the coin will help or hinder the value or not even worth it.Then they will work on the coin. Mine have always come back beautiful. Great value for the money.
Edited by SaturnD51
12/02/2022 11:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input @SaturnD51. I'll be taking the plunge Saturday unless something makes me decide to back out. I got a little queasy this evening, taking them out of the 2x2s for the flips required for submission. While I've removed a few for images in the past, some have not been touched for 50 years, and have never left my possession. The return shipping scares me a bit; I'd much rather have the coins than any insurance money. I see 7 or 8 with some cloudiness out of 20 that might be candidates for the conservation.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2022  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Schist99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I've experienced from ANACS conservation service, was that they decide which coins in your submission should be conserved. If the coin has been affected by residue from previous storage or old coin holders.
Considering all the coins I've submitted, only a handful were selected for conservation. I wouldn't have been able to tell which coins would benefit from the service, so I'm glad that I elected to have that it done for those submissions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2023  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I submitted 16 coins on 12/03/22. The submission was finally updated 01/18/23. 9 of the 16 coins are designated "This coin was selected for conservation services." So they did something to most of them.

01/13/23 I had gotten a call from Paul at ANACS for my permission to conserve the 1947 50c CR Maple Leaf, specimen. They thought it might have a coating of lacquer. PCGS had given this coin UNC Details - Cleaned. I had disagreed with that designation for several years. Paul said conserving it would likely result in a straight grade, but if it didn't go well, cleaned again. I figured why not, since it had already been designated cleaned. Of course this made me nervous about ruining the coin. The 01/18/23 update showed it got SP62. I was very happy with that.

Most of grandfather's raw coins got MS62 or MS63. A reminder that these are all Canadian. I selected the group in order to get 1947 ML, 1948, and 1949 denominations slabbed together. The disappointments were a 1949 25c that got UNC Details Scratched, and a 1931 5c (the oddball) that got AU58. I thought the latter would be MS63-64.

Anyway, figured I'd update the thread. The coins still haven't shipped, but I'm guessing it's because I wanted them all photographed. One thing makes me curious - they chose to conserve the 48 $1, but not the 47 ML $1. I thought the 47 looked more grungy. When the coins finally arrive, I will see if I can tell what the conservation did for them, and post an update again.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 633Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: