Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Visual Reminder Of The Importance Of Controlling Humidity.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 449Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
670 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
We all know that humidity is one of the enemies of our fine pastime, so I thought I would share this post.

I use desiccant bags with all of my coins and albums, the kind that change colour from orange to green when they are ready to change over.

It's an easy visual reminder. My albums get stored in large Ziploc's, and I slip a desiccant bag in there with the album. Whenever I pull out an album, or once monthly I check them all, I can see what sort of moisture, if any, is breaking through the defences.

On impulse, I bought a larger dehumidifying trap at the Reject Shop, I guess it was around three months ago, and I put it into this area where I had some bulk coins, books and supplies stored. I finally got around to sorting this area out last week, and you can see from the water level just how much water this thing has absorbed out of the air in that time.

Fun fact: I live in South Australia, which was always touted as "the driest state, in the driest continent, in the world" I think that climate change has turned that notion around slightly.

Cheers TT

The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6218 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That plastics container you have is what I use in my safe one at the top and one near the bottom, they are full after 6 months to a year for sure. We buy them from the Dollar store for $1.25
Learn More...
United States
120601 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do the same ; Albums and loose leaf books in large Ziplock bags with lots of desiccant bags . So far so good .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 449Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: