Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Tale Of The Sadly Holed 1875-H 10c

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,018Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add drdn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I recently came across a tragically holed 1875-H in a bag of junk silver. Amazingly such things still do happen. I am considering sending it in with an economy shipment of world coins I was planning to send in. I like the idea of getting it nominally authenticated. I suspect it will come back F/VF-Details, Holed or such.

Is this a fool's errand? I am unsure as the value of this piece but tentatively put in the 150 USD range.

The images of the coin are attached below. Apologies as they are not my best.

Valued Member
Canada
476 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert but it looks legit, and your photos are decent. Sad to look at that hole, but I would do exactly what you're proposing. I'd say it's definitely EF with the detail. Would be quite valuable if fully intact. Recent search of sold on the Bay shows several piece in very poor condition selling for several hun, so you never know.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4497 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
crsstocktom.com
Contact Alan see what he would charge to
fix the hole!
Does great work ,check him out .
Easy EF details coin by the way !
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drdn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I admit I low-balled my initial grade estimate. VF seemed quite reasonable and If EF is on the table then it seems like a no-brainer to get it certified.

I've never considered getting the hole fixed but it could enhance the appearance. The location of the hole may make it challenging.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75021 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A shame indeed.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4497 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree about the location being an issue .
I will bet Alan could do a wonderful job on that .
Once had an 1871 Half he fixed result was amazing .
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20588 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly is correct.
With the hole, I can understand why it was found in a bag of junk silver, because it has lost perhaps more the 95% of it's value, compared to the equivalent graded 1875H Cdn Dime without the problem.

I wouldn't bother getting it authenticated - I think that most responders to this thread would say it is genuine anyway.
Obtusely, that is small compensation for the grief it has sustained.

Plugging the hole would definitely not increase it's value, although it may look a a little better. You cannot make a silken purse out of a sow's ear. I have a few plugged coin in my collection, but I don't appreciate any extra value they may have

I know you will always feel somewhat miffed about this coin.
I have been there, done that myself.

I once bought a rare type Roman aureus on the cheap, from a top London dealer, that had a grievous test cut in the obverse. I was never very happy with it. After some years, I sold it on. Looking back on that occasion, I am glad that I did.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drdn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for everyone's contributions. I'll be selling this piece on (+/- slabbing) for the reasons outlined above and also due to the fact that Canadian coins are not the primary focus on my collection.
Learn More...
Canada
10314 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Once had an 1871 Half he fixed result was amazing .

Any before and after photos to share from that?
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
10314 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  08:58 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel your pain... I sold this for about 10% of its (unholed) retail value. That's really all it iwas worth.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
United States
120601 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10604 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hole filling.....another dimension to coin restoration. Un-roadrashing would be a neat service.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4497 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ SPP .
Sold a quarter century ago , so umm , no pictures .
Check out Alan's website , there are some pretty decent
pictures of his work .
@1944 .. Unless you have seen some of crsstocktons work
really easy to be a skeptic I guess .
Just another point , there are people who DO
COLLECT holed coins . Some do bring quite
good prices , especially US coins .
As to this 1875H 10 cents . I am quite sure I would
be in a fairly long line at around the 150 mark .
The OPs coin is certainly saleable as pictured .
Edited by Pacificoin
11/30/2022 12:30 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,018Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: