Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Rare, New Discovery On A 1985 Penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 490Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  6:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add M1A to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, out there! I'm new to this forum and new to coin collecting. Hopefully, I'm not just an overzealous newcomer, but I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

I found this 1985 penny in a roll of pennies from my bank. I noticed a small circle in front of and towards the lower end of the "1" in 1985. I've dubbed it as a "Cheerio rolling down Lincoln's chest". (See pics.) I haven't found any information on it as an error. Has anyone else encountered something like this or is it just an anomaly? I went through 13 rolls of pennies and found nothing like it. Please share your thoughts and opinions. And any advice will be appreciated on keeping or selling and what my next steps should be. Looking forward to your comments!
Tell me if it's a GEM OR toss HIM!!! THANK YOU!!!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Forum, M1A!
That appears to be a zinc blister. Nothing special, and unfortunately does not add value to your coin.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9163 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

You are to be commended at first post for your excellent photographs and highlighted description of the area of interest.

Agreed that what your have is a plating bubble on the copper coated zinc cent - it looks 'special' but alas it's simply a well placed random anomaly.

Answering your question - spend it.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75006 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plating bubble.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13831 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1416 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting find, though as others have said it appears just to be a plating bubble. I'd probably hang onto it myself just as a curiosity.
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M1A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, everyone for your input and welcoming me! I've so much to learn! I appreciate you taking your time to educate me. My Cheerio turned out to be a dud, but I learned about zinc bubbles! The search must go on...
Thanks, again and happy hunting!
Learn More...
United States
120560 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a great place to learn, and there is always more to learn! If you would like a little advice, the first thing to do is study up on the mint process and varieties and errors before looking for anything on coins. Almost every coin is going to have some small anomaly and if you aren't sure what to look for you will drive yourself crazy looking! Skip you tube videos for info until you know what is real and what is hype, there are some great websites like doubleddie.com, varietyvista.com, error-ref.com. Welcome to the forum!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10161 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  05:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the assessment that what your cent is showing is a zinc rot blister. Unfortunately zinc rot is the death sentence for zinc cored coins. Spend it and keep searching!

to the CCF!
ça va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60965 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Split plating with a needle or a straight pin. The split allowed the zinc to get oxygen and is now starting zinc rot.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M1A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, again, for your responses and sharing resources! I can definitely see this is a great forum to belong to with all the kindness I received from you! Happy Holidays!!!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 490Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: