Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Countermark On A 1768 Spanish Escudo - Can You Identify?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 245Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1590 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  7:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Countermark on a 1768 Spanish Escudo - Can you Identify?

Sort of a four leaf clover design countermark on this Spanish gold host coin. Any ideas of its origin?

Sorry no image of the whole obverse and reverse - a dealer at a local coin show asked me if I ever seen this countermark before? Does not ring a bell at the moment.

JPL

Pillar of the Community
United States
1752 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This type of mark (and other similar marks) is typically attributed as a "jeweler's mark". I assume the purpose was to attest that a certain jeweler/handler verified that it was genuine. It's rather common, most frequently seen from my observation on peninsular (Madrid/Seville) 1/2 escudos, occasionally on 1E, more infrequently on higher denominations.

Given that they appear frequently on the peninsular 1/2E (which I don't believe were used in the Americas much at all), I assume these marks were done in Spain proper.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1590 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - from memory it was on a lower denomination like a 1 or 2 Escudo it was not marked on a 4 or 8. JPL
Edited by colonialjohn
12/06/2022 12:33 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 245Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: