Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help On The Year Of This King Of Poland Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 417Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6221 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  1:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know it is from 1648 to 1668 the one on Numista only has one year listed 1650 , is that the only year that this coin was minted?
The KOP#1605 thank you for looking

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4360 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight and size would help
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6221 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine weighs 1.5g one on Numista is 1.8g, size mine about 16mm . Numista 22mm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4125 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This type is known as a "boratynka"; it was issued with immense mintages in (mostly) the mid-1660s. IIRC Numista has a large amount of pages for minuscule sub-varieties, and should not be relied upon for a general overview of the overall type.

I'm not sure where did 1650 come from. AFAIK this is too early. I would read the date on your coin as 166x, most likely 1663 or 1665. Considering the size mismatch, I suspect you found a page for the wrong type entirely; boratynkas are all tiny, well below 22 mm.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5622 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with j1m.

This type with reverse legend SOLID REG POLO (date followed by dot) was struck 1663 - 1665. Here is the Numista listing for 1665:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces119299.html

Again, as pointed out by j1m, Numista lists each date/mint combination separately, which is helpful in some cases (finding an obscure mint like Oliwa or Brest), but is more confusing than helpful for the Ujazdow mint, which struck the type continuously for most of the 1660s
Edited by tdziemia
12/08/2022 08:02 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6221 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help and the link.
Valued Member
Lithuania
376 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2022  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Polish boratynka of 1665, IMHO.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 417Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: