Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On Another "Beaded Border" Classic Large Cent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 497Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  10:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Areas that drew my interest:

Date compared to a genuine example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385276450520

I did write a Coin Week article on these:

S-280 only variety for the date...
Edited by burfle23
12/08/2022 11:16 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75091 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ask the seller to remove the coin from the holder and send new pics.
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you need that for the date?
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
its actually the color that give me red flags first. I would steer clear because of that alone.

then there is the date. I agree that punch is wrong.

it is also missing the diagnostic die crack in the wreath under the second s in states. ive never seen an 1809 without the crack. I suppose they could exist without the crack but ive never seen it and ive been proactively looking for a while now.

100% fake. thanks for posting it!
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Edited by CarrsCoins
12/08/2022 11:18 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5682 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got the books to ID the variety.
But the pics need to be better.
And like CoinFrog said, "... remove the coin from the holder".
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there is only one variety for 1809. this aint it. the leaf positions are all wrong.

here is a nice real one

the leaf tips are in the wrong positions on the reverse. check out the location of the tip of the leaf under the F in oF and the second S and T in staTeS.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely! Counterfeits based on the 1814 Classic Head S-295 variety.

Edited by burfle23
12/08/2022 12:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9187 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That date logotype is the obvious spot for me to look at first. But easy to see how these trick the innocent beginners in our hobby, this hurts us all by scaring new collectors out of the hobby entirely.

Thanks for the post Jack!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil War Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 497Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: