Coin Community Family of Web Sites Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1918-D WLH PCGS MS63 Number Not On File But It's On Ebay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 972Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
344 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2023  3:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pillar of the Community
United States
2773 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2023  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a potential counterfeit slab.
Suffering from bust half fever.
Want to learn how to attribute early half dollars by die variety? Click Here: http://goccf.com/t/434955
Shoot me a PM if you are looking to sell bust halves.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1363 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2023  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried entering the number in the PCGS verification site, but the / would clear everything to that point.
The seller (buymuseumcollections) has some very pricey coins.
Here is the coin, in case the auction disappears.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Edited by Hondo Boguss
03/19/2023 4:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
677 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2023  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Invalid cert number on PCGS verify
Tim Hughes
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2023  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bikergeek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried other PCGS verifications and PCGS' website is having a hard time with them right now. I tried a cert # that I know to be good and get: "We're sorry, we are unable to verify at this time. Please try again after a few minutes."

I will say this: I sold a 1918-D walker in PCGS MS63 on GreatCollections in March of 2021 and, all-in, it cost the buyer $2,025 plus shipping. So, I'm not sure who's paying $11,500 for this coin. The coin pictured does appear to be really well struck for an early branch-mint walker. Having said that, it's an odd looking beast, with kind of a granular frost to it - although maybe that's a factor of the photographer.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...3-from-photo
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2023  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For PCGS cert lookup, all you need are the numbers after the "/". For this one: reddish bar with "not found...". I think the coin was exposed to Baking Soda
Edited by Oldgrouchyguy
03/19/2023 7:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5769 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2023  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Several features of the listing turned me off.
1. All the colors, particularly of the text.
2. All the fancy fonts.
3. AND PARTICULARLY, all the references to various pricing guides being NOT an accurate evaluation.

I use the Greysheet and that coin is valued at $2400.
Because of the nature of the Greysheet values, if I were to bid/buy that coin I would max out at Greysheet plus 20%/30%
That means I would be willing to pay in the range of $2880 to $3120.
The listed buying price is pure hype.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10343 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2023  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Knew it was a fake slab as soon as I saw it.
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2023  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Message I'm getting;
"We're sorry, that certification number was not found. Please double check the number and try again."
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 972Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: