Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

9/11 Commemorative

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2009  11:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nkaupa77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just bought this at a flea market this weekend. I'm wondering if anyone has seen another one like this. I paid $25 for it, I'm just curious what it might actually be worth. It says .999 pure silver on the reverse of the coin, but I've looked quite a bit on the internet and can't find another one like it. Thanks for any info. anyone might have.

Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2009  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

1 troy ounce of silver as of today is worth $13.35 an ounce.
You did overpay a bit but these are collected by some and I
have sometimes sold similar ones for around $20-$25 but it
depends on the market
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2009  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It is not an actual coin with a denomination, just a 1 ounce silver bullion round. This round was privately made and is not a product of the US Mint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2009  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwisker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I am correct in remembering the commercial for that piece, The silver used to make the coin came from silver obtained from ground zero. I could be wrong in my memory. I know there were several commemoratives that claimed silver or gold obtained from ground zero.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2009  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually Mr. Wisker, I don't think it was actually silver recovered from Ground Zero. I think the only think I've heard close to that are American Eagles recovered from a vault that was near the towers.

... have to check on that, though...
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2009  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, I don't think any gold nor silver was actually recovered from ground zero (even though allot of marketers would like us to think different). There was some as was said above some silver eagles and gold eagles recovered from one of the vaults of one of the other buildings and they were graded by PCGS as WTC coins. There was no precious metal recovered from ground zero like I have heard marketed. I have even heard 1 commercial say they threw in some precious metal from the WTC in with other precious metals and melted them down together just so they could say each coin had some of the metal in each coin from there when in fact chances are against you of getting even a small amount of that metal in your coin but they were all melted together so they wanted you to know there was that chance. It is just money hungry people wanting to make money off of the tragedy that occurred
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2009  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwisker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately you are correct about the money hungry people.
Now that it has been said, I think you are right about the items from the vaults.
Anything put out in the name of 9/11 just to make the money off of it is just plain morbid.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1946 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2009  03:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add garylcsr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Morbid and junk in my opinion. anything or anyone using a national disaster to make a buck is trash in my eye.
most of it is from that clown. Goldwater. the Son using the Fathers name good or bad to make a buck.
keep it all. JUNK
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2009  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SammyBlade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This should only be bought and sold around the price of silver for it to pass my moral test. Silver is silver, and any design can be made into it. If they want to commemorate the lost live of that day, fine... But don't sell it at a premium any higher than a commem. with kermit the frog on it.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2009  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This should only be bought and sold around the price of silver for it to pass my moral test. Silver is silver, and any design can be made into it. If they want to commemorate the lost live of that day, fine... But don't sell it at a premium any higher than a commem. with kermit the frog on it.

I agree 100%
Pillar of the Community
United States
3040 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2009  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is there a kermit the frog coin?
i gotta have that
Pillar of the Community
United States
4358 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Pillar of the Community
United States
699 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes there's a kermit the frog coin. NEW Zealand Mint made it for 2019. It's colorized 1 Oz .999 fine silver.
NZ mint sells the for $85 USD which I think is pretty steep, but I'm sure Disney wants their cut also....
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05