Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Ancient Coin Book To Buy Next?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2009  10:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Curio Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am really getting the ancient coin bug after I bought my first greek coin & a couple of denarii at a local show this past weekend. I already have 3 of the Sayles books (Vol. 2, 3 & 5) and I have the Klawans "Reading & dating Roman coins/Outline of ancient Greek coins" and the new Whitman "Collecting Greek coins" books on order. What other ancient book coin book should I buy next?

Thanks, Bill
Learn More...
United States
22531 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2009  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Handbook of Roman Imperial Coins and ERIC (Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins) are also nice books to have and are not expensive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
671 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2009  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Ferrari to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
David Vagi's two volume series, Coinage and History of the Roman Empire, is fantastic as it not only references coins, it also gives an in-depth history of each and every person depicted on a coin. I learned quite a lot from these books...

Of course, you could always splurge and buy the RIC series, but that will set you back over a thousand dollars.

Learn More...
Australia
13138 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2009  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Sear catalogues of Greek and Roman are excellent buys for general collectors of either of these series. There are currently two volumes of Greek, three volumes of Roman (with a fourth currently in the works) and one volume of Roman Provincial which I wouldn't recommend except as a general guide. The Greek catalogues (especially Volume II) also include some fringe non-Greek cultures (Carthaginian, Parthian, Celtic, Judaean, Nabatean, etc).

If you can find a copy of the older, all-in-one-volume Sear catalogue of Roman, I would heartily recommend it. The prices would be a couple of decades out of date, but you can still use them as a general guide to rarity and relative price. The rest of the information in it is still good.

Besides information on the particular coins, the Sear catalogues also contain some background information on the emperors and cities that issued the coins, as well as general guides to the coin types and such that you'd also get in the Sayles books.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05