Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Some Ancients

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2009  3:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add smartelf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, some help identifying please, Thanks in advance

Edited by smartelf
08/31/2009 3:32 pm
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2009  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blcoinnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fourth one looks like Constantius Gallus.
Learn More...
Australia
13096 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2009  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you post each coin in a separate thread, and in the ID required forum, it makes it easier for us to tell which coins have been identified and which haven't.

Some general observations: the pics, while large, often aren't clear enough to see the details quickly. Better pics might help, but the coins might be too badly corroded. Some of the coins appear to have been cleaned by electrolysis or a similarly harsh method; this cleaning may have destroyed key details which could have helped identify the coin, but perhaps the coin would have been too badly corroded in any event.

So, from the pics, here's what I can see.

#1: Appears to be Greek, based on the beaded border. Perhaps Roman provincial.

#2: Appears to be late Roman; clearer pics would certainly allow proper identification of this one.

#3: There's not much left of this one, but I think it's early Roman Imperial, based on the portrait style. I can't tell if the lettering on the reverse is Greek or Latin.

#4: This one's the only one identifiable from the pics: Late Roman bronze, Constantius II, reverse SPES REIPVBLICE (Hope of the Republic), emperor standing holding globe and inverted spear. Unfortunately, the mintmark is missing from your coin (it should be below the ground-line the emperor on the reverse is standing on). Example of a similar coin on Wildwinds.

#5: Roman Provincial, I think.

#6: Roman provincial, I think.

Sorry I can't be much more help than that.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05