Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uk~ Interesting Find From The Circulation In The Uk~

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
665 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2010  08:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys..
After seeing the same topic under US coins, I decided to run a similar one at here.. For the ones that have a little extra time and patience to tell weird, interesting or different coins they come across in circulation.. Here I start..

One Isle of Man 1-Pound and one Gibraltar 1-Pound, both given to me by shops in London between 2008 and 2009. I used to have one more Isle of Man 1-Pound, receieved similar from the circulation, though I probably spent it somewhere at the airport. Uk 1-Pound and pound-issuing countries' pound coins are very similar, and sometimes they pass easily in circulation at the UK, as some of you are also familiar with.

I found a aUNC 1995 Welsh reverse 1-pound in Edinburgh last summer.
Also, two Gibraltar 5p coins in circulation in London around that date too.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3424 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2010  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
molydeii- Very interesting. Thanks for sharing and for starting this thread! This may prove quite interesting since every time I have been to England, I seem to never find anything of interest in circulation. In fact, it always seems that every coin I get in change is horribly marred with scratches and dents. In fact, I'm not certain that I have ever even plucked a BU out of change there. Very odd.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1433 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2010  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1 coins take a beating and a hard to find in good condition.

I have found coins from Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, and St. Helena Ascension in circulation in the UK.

I like the reverse on the right coin from the top picture. Is that St. George slaying the Dragon on it?

Here are some of my finds:

1998 St. Helena Ascension 2 Pence

1999 Falkland Islands 1

Balliwick of Jersey - 1992 10 Pence, 1998 2, 2002 20 Pence, and 1997 50 Pence

Balliwick of Jersey - 2008 & 1980 2 Pence and 2002 5 Pence

Isle of Man - 1992 10 Pence, 1994 1, 2002 and 1998 20 Pence

Gibraltor - 2004 & 1993 1, 2005 & 1988 20 Pence, 2003 5 Pence, and 2005 10 Pence

Bailiwick of Guernsey - 1999 20 Pence, 2003 50 Pence, 1998 1 Penny, and 1992 2 Pence

1999 East Caribbean States One Dollar

Ireland 1992 1P and 1982 50P

Ken
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Edited by kena
01/20/2010 4:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
665 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2010  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Archraz- Thank you for your comments, actually finding Bu or Unc and maybe aUNC coins in the UK is not that hard. If you visit London, many of them are availible at large supermarkets such as Tesco, Asda and Marks and Spencer. Another method I use is, I always pay with a bill, sort out the change, and put them into ziplocs as 5 or 10 Quids and whenever I need to pay that an exact amount of 5 or 10 Quids, I give one of those ziplocs. You can't imagine how many coins you can get by using that method. Sometimes, I ask the hotel cafeteria or the reception to give me bills out of my change, say 5 or 10 Quids again. This way, even though you definately look like a weirdo, it pays off and you'll get many coins. I tralevved a lot within the UK, went to Brighton, Edinburgh, etc. and found out that downtown London is the best for new coins.

Kena- Wow, I am amazed of some of your finds such as the Guernsey 2 Pounds and Ireland 50p. Very lovely indeed. You have a keen eye I think, how did you find the large ireland 50p?.. it must be hard for it to mix to the circulation, and also the East Carribean Dollar, what are their stories, mind telling us?..
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
665 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2010  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kena - and yes, indeed, it is the image of St george killing the dragon, much like in 1951 Crowns and old, silver crowns. Gibraltar uses that image for their 1 Pounds I assume.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1433 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2010  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of them I have found in change or in bags of coins from the bank.

I don't recall how I received the Ireland 50 pence.

The Guernsey 2 Pound came out a bag of 2 coins.....first thing I do with UK 50 pence and 2 pound coins is to look at the backs.

The East Carribean Dollar I picked up because the person could not understand why it was being rejected in a parking ticket machine. They thought it was a 50 pence, so I gave them a 50 pence coin for it.

I need to pick up a coin with St George slaying the dragon at some point in time.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1023 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2010  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that pound really a gibraltar coin? The pound coin had a fortress on it, I like that design you have though! I went there in 2003, just been doing research and seeing they had new coins for something in 2004, I always get there too early, and I found it hard to get proper gibraltar coins instead of the normal british ones!
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
665 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2010  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes guys it is a 2003 Gibraltar 1-Pound coin with St. George Slaying the Dragon on one side and QE2's Grandmotherly portrait on the other side.. I've found it in my change in London sometime summer 2009 I assume. Here are close up pics :

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1433 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2010  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the coin with the St. George and the Dragon.
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
665 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2010  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, no problem, my pleasure.
I've also found a 1984 circulation strike 1-Pound coin, given me as change in Cost Coffee at Princes' Mall in Edinburgh. the nitresting thing about it is it is aUNC and almost full lustre, a very lovely coin. I wonder how it ended up in there, but it is in my collection at the moment! :)
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2010  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add English Matt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone I have managed to find isle of man , guernsey , gibraltar , jersey, ireland, falkland islands, st helena and ascension , bermuda, barbados and australian coins in circulation in england :) mostly all denonimations of coins from 1 penny to 1 pound ..I once found a pakistan rupee coin in my change too mostly because we have loads of asian immigrants in britain thats probably why it got in my change
Pillar of the Community
United States
2541 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2010  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gothic Florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool! I love the Sovereign reverse on the Gibraltar pound. I think I may have to do some roll hunting next time I'm in the U.K. - even though coins aren't rolled in the U.K., they are just in bags!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1433 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2010  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, I don't find any interesting non-UK coins by searching bags of coins from banks. Not even the new releases.

Most have come from change in shops, co-workers, or people having problems with coins at parking meters.
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
665 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2010  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello guys, I'm back.
Haven't found a lot of intresting things in London last month...
One 1988 1 Pound, Gibraltar
And one 1988 1 Pound (royal shield) UK. Both circulated. The latter has a realtively low mintage , the first one I have seen in circulation.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2342 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2010  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first day out of the house for a month, and what do I get in change?
Isle of Man 1998 £2.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1023 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2010  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found something really interesting in my change. A 2002 england pound coin with the die off centre, fake as anything, weakly done, looks like it has been in circulation for 3 decades.
Also a new 20p which is weak, though a real one!!
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05