Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982d rpm?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
941 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2010  8:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add killians76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I see something there, seems like it is sideways on both things that I see, which , to me, forms another D. anyway what do you think?
I have arrows pointing to what I see, but they are small so look close.
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/...0_5055-1.jpg
Edited by killians76
01/27/2010 8:38 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24691 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2010  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they are metal flow lines.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33285 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2010  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die flow lines. The metal to metal contact wear the die and the LDS-VLDS show this very strong. The marking in the center of the mint mark is a bad punch. You find this area looking like this from coins of different dies for this year. IE: 1979-d with the split in the lower serif is another example of this.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
941 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2010  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add killians76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hey coop, thanks for all the info, helps when explained instead of getting slapped in the face. Glenn
Pillar of the Community
United States
3507 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2010  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might help to mention that the D is also distorted as a result of a contact mark.

Thanks,
Bill
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2010  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with John and coop on this one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24691 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2010  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glen,are you saying I slapped you with my answer?If so,it was not my intent,sorry
Coop,are die flow lines the same as metal flow lines?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2010  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It might help to mention that the D is also distorted as a result of a contact mark.

Just why would that be in the least bit helpful?

Am I missing another concept on how PMD directly relates to die wear?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3507 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2010  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is helpful because some folks here look at something, see something that they think is something else and often what they are looking at is a function of some kind of damage.

The distortion of the D and what this person is seeing might be related if the damage and what they think they see have anything to do with each other.

Since the person posting was not particularly specific as to what they were looking at, I wanted to add my thought to the mix.

You are missing the concept that die wear and damage can work together to cause the viewer of the coin to see things in a different way.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2010  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
'I' am not missing anything here. I didn't miss the 'arrows' that the author pointed out in the original post, and I doubted that anyone else would have either, but it looks like I was wrong about that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33285 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2010  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1: Yes. It is on the die the lines appear making each coin after they start have the same die flow lines with stronger ones in later die states.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
941 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2010  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add killians76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1, in no way disrespect, I thank all of you for your input. Let me explain, I was meaning I like it to be explained so I can learn from it, rather than a "no it's not" or "don't think so". Just something that might enable me to learn from it rather that just read it. Thanks John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2010  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zeewool

everyone has their own way of helping, yours may not be the same as foundinrolls, that does not make either of you wrong.

making a note of the damage on the mint mark is one way of helping.

to be honest the ding on the D was the first thing I saw when I opened the picture, I had to look close to see the red arrows.

lets help each other help others.

Thanks to both of you for your contributions to the thread and the forum.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05