Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Good Deal For Sacajewea's In A Dansco ?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  11:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Like almost any "mail order" coin purchase.......I don't know ANY of them that are "good deals" for the customer. They're ALWAYS overpriced ! And I'm sure this is no different.

But, I'm wanting a complete collection of Sacajawea's (and Native Dollars), and I saw this in one of my many mail order catalog things. This one is from Palm Island Coins in Florida.

It says that it comes complete in a Dansco including Proofs and has every mint in BU for like $238.00 ( I think that was the price)... years 2000 - 2009

What I want to know......is this WAAAAAAAYYYYY overpriced ? ..... or just "a little" overpriced ?

I would like there to be "a chance" that, in 30 years, it would "at the very least" be worth what I "put into it" in terms of "cost"......so.....this "is" a factor......but $10.00 - $20.00 "over" right now, wouldn't be "too bad".
Would I be better off trying to work with a coin shop on this and purchasing my own Dansco for these ?
I know I would get more satisfaction by buying them individually and building "my own set", versus purchasing one that someone else put together.
I don't Ebay (for those who don't know me)....so that's not an option for me.

But, I have to say......I'm really tempted to get this.....and then keep it current from now on, because I really like this series.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7675 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  11:18 am  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like putting together the set myself...you know the thrill of the hunt. And you wind up putting a personal spin on it, and who knows whose thumbprint may show up over time on one (or more) of the coins.

I would go with your "shoulder angel".
Edited by oih82w8
02/10/2010 11:27 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a bit overpriced. I know you don't eBay but I see sets as low as $199 including shipping.
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GFR3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Overpriced, but not as crazy as most of the "mail order" coins. I'd stay away, though.

For me, this is a VERY fun set to put together. Not sure why, but this coin just really appeals to me. Its my favorite coin minted in quite a while. None of the coins are difficult to come across and all can be found at very resonable prices. Most of the proofs can be found for less than $10, some even around $5. The 2001s is around $30 and is considered he "key" by most. Your everyday, run of the mill P/D's can be picked up here I'm sure.

My set is nearly up-to-date, just needing the 2002s and both P and D 2008. I'd say I spent less than $150 so far, and that is including the two 2001s slabbed coins (de-slabbed by me of course).

My vote is build it yourself. Much moer enjoyment can be had that way
--gary

EDIT - and of course, you'll need to go find yourself a Goodacre Dollar too
Edited by GFR3
02/10/2010 2:08 pm
Learn More...
United States
68349 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just did a quick check at NumisMedia. MS-61 and bottom end proofs total to about $175 for the series. Of course it goes up from there, but you have to assume the worst when they say "BU" in the ad.

Unless you could take a good look at the coins beforehand, you should pass on this offer.

I also agree with the others, it is much more fun to build the set!
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollarcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I bought a complete set of Eisenhower dollars in the Dansco album. I have a much less connection with this album as compared with other dollar albums that I put the coins into the holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2661 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you have to assume the worst when they say "BU" in the ad.
That is so true jbuck. Why just this weekend I saw a Morgan at the antique mall that had BU written on the 2x2 and it was an obvious high XF. wear on all the high surfaces. If some would call a coin that you can hold in the hand BU then there is no telling what you would receive from mail order.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1599 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jprine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about the pricing, but I agree with others here; hunting and finding the coins is where the fun is (at least for me). I did buy a "starter" set of mercury's awhile back. It did not have any of the keys and alot of holes so I really had to work hard on it. Still have about 10 holes left.
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rainman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.bezalelcoins.com/Bezalel...leteSets.htm

Your price is better than this one.$269.

Seeking:More Coins

Rainman
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked.....it's $235.00.....P,D, S and it goes to 2010 (not including the 2010 S though) Keep in mind too.....this is shipped already in a nice Dansco album. So, the Dansco would be part of the price too.

I do agree with most about putting it together myself. It's just that the one coin shop I've been to in town, is known to rip people off. There is two other shops in town.....but I've never been to them.

My bank does not get the Native Dollars.....nor will they order them. The rare times I come across one in the wild....well.....they're in pretty bad shape.

JB's information is kinda what I thought too.... I'm sure the ones good enough for grading, would be used elsewhere, and that this set would be the "lower end leftovers".
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dreamstones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do they have a good return policy if you decide you don't like them? The price may be a little on the high side, but if they have a fair return policy I say go for it.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just did a quick check at NumisMedia. MS-61 and bottom end proofs total to about $175 for the series

I think when you figure that up (even though I still think numismedia is a little high but chances are some will be better than MS-61) and then figure in the price of the album its not to far out of his $10.00 or $20.00 overpriced range he was asking about. it is actually about 30 bucks over if you say a set and then add 5.00 shipping (just a number) then the album with 5.00 shipping. So its according to if you think its worth it to have a complete set to date or if you want to take the time to do it yourself
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do they have a good return policy ?

While I've never done business with them.....it does say that you can send them back if you're not satisfied.
This is a "catalog order company" with an internet site too (I assume)
Palm Island Coins
I thought maybe somebody here has done business with them and could vouch for them.......good or bad.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rainman's site.... ... $269.00
I noticed that their Set stops in 2008 too......the one I'm talking about goes to 2010, so that's even better.

As Bryan noted too with the Dansco throwed in.....
What is the going price for the Sacajawea/Native Dollar Dansco ?
Edited by eaglefoot
02/11/2010 10:44 am
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
on the site I looked at it was about 18.00 for the album plus shipping
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks.....
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05