Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Dansco Albums Good?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 5,885Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  12:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add snitchard to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I'm wanting to put my ASE Bullion Coins in an album but what kind of album should I use? I was thinking an Air-Tite album but those albums don't seem as nice as Dansco albums.

Does anyone know if Dansco albums will protect my coins well?

I have never used a Dansco album but from the pictures I have seen they have a label a spot for each coin, which I like. They also have a slipcase available and are very reasonably priced through Amos Advantage.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Rich
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagles700LvL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a number of Dansco albums for a bunch of different stuff, but not ASEs yet. I find them attractive and easy to use.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As eaglefoot put it:

Quote:
Simply put......."Dansco's" are the "cadillac" of the industry. Well made....quality materials, etc. etc.

Pillar of the Community
United States
645 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have mine in a Dansco 7181.
Learn More...
United States
92378 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone know if Dansco albums will protect my coins well?
It depends on how you plan to store the albums.

They are not air tight, so make sure you keep them in a climate controlled (temperature and humidity) location. Some even put their albums with some desiccants into Ziploc type bags.
Pillar of the Community
United States
645 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rich: Two things.

You can get a better deal with Valley Coin on a Dansco 7181 ($18.77), Slipcase ($7.56), flat rate shipping ($5.49). http://www.valleycoin.com/

I came across these boxes on Littleton Coin site for ($1.95) and thought of you.

http://www.littletoncoin.com/webapp...1%7C62275%7C

Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snitchard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

Thanks for all the input and RPT thanks for the link.

Rich
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MArainman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a combination of Eagle binders and Airtites. Check out a photo of my suggestion in this thread: http://goccf.com/t/57927 (it's the second photo).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19860 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost any Album for coins is OK. I really don't think one is better than others though. All are basically manufactured the same way, with basically the same materials. I think it's mainly eye appear for many and although those same people end up hiding them from view for safety purposes, the sort of Brownish color fits in with book bindings of expensive appearances. Some others, like Whitman, Littleton, etc are just not eye appealing.
All allow air to get to the coins. All use the same size slots, All use the same basic plastic slides. All glue the paper to the slotted cardboard the same with basically the same glue. Again, it's all preference in appearance. Some are a horrid green, some are blue, and some are Brownish or tanish.
I've got well over 100 Whitman Classic Albums. All are in Zip Lock plastic bags. No toning, tarnishing, corroding, taning, etc. Some coins have been with me for well over 60 years now and still look the same as they did 60 years ago.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1880 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All are in Zip Lock plastic bags

That's where my Dansco albums live.
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snitchard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

When you say Zip lock bags are you talking about the big freezer bags?

Thanks,
Rich
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andrew289 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you mean by "protect"? Albums will tone your coins.

If you like toned eagles ...go for it !
If you consider toning to be "damage", then you are playing Russian Roulette.
Learn More...
United States
92378 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When you say Zip lock bags are you talking about the big freezer bags?
That is correct.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4541 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wizardcoinsupply.com is also a good place to buy. thats where mine came from
Edited by daviscfad
02/22/2010 6:13 pm
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snitchard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

Do the zip lock bags help protect the album and coins from the elements? Where can I find desiccants? What are desiccants?

Thanks,
Rich
Pillar of the Community
United States
1880 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2010  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Squeeze as much air as you can out of the ziploc bag. You can get rechargeable desiccants from Wizard:

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/pro...l-desiccant/

You can also find the silica gel packs in stuff that gets shipped to you, or in the box with new shoes...be sure to follow the direction and don't eat them. :) Don't know if there is a way to (safely) refresh those.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 5,885Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05