Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is Your Coin Collecting An Obsessive-compulsive Thing?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2010  10:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
Is Your Coin Collecting an Obsessive-Compulsive Thing?

Do you "feel the need" to fill all the holes in your album?

Are you "bothered" by empty holes?

Do you "feel the need" to upgrade coins in your albums?

Do you "feel the need" to start an album of another denomination?

Poll Choices
  Yes. I feel satisfied if the album holes are complete & feel the need to fill all the holes.
  No. I collect only for fun & am not bothered by "empty holes."
  Other: See my comments below.

Pillar of the Community
Thailand
1509 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2010  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thai-vic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't rate myself as obsessive-compulsive. If I come across a coin type (including different years or mints) that I don't have then fine but I don't go out of my way to fill in any holes/gaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2010  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jakeW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it was more just fun at first but the more I collect the more I want to collect
Rest in Peace
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2010  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its partly filling holes, but partly just grabbing anything that is a good deal.
Learn More...
United States
22566 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2010  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect just for the fun of it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2010  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 of my ten voices tell me that I need to fill the holes.... 2 tell me that it bothers them if there is an empty hole!! 3 tell me to up-grade a set....

But (4) alway's tell me that everyone here is GREAT

Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2010  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, just obsessive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
615 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2010  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HippieOutcast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't fill holes, I buy things I like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SuperDave, you're making me laugh out loud & I'm trying not to wake the wife.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9199 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  12:38 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other - I'm not filling albums but definitely could be the cover boy for OCD Monthly.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3201 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have albums with holes

In all seriousness, I have decided to collecting everything since restricting myself to one area would leave me thinking "oh this is a nice coin, it's cheap too, but I don't collect these" too many times.
Edited by DL20K
03/10/2010 04:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I chose other.

I am currently working on completing a Lincoln, Merc and 7070 album. However the rate at which they get completed doesn't stress me out.

If I see a coin I like and the price is agreeable to me I will buy it and not even think twice that it wont fill a hole in one of my albums.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2761 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't have albums with holes

That's me too! I do have some old Whitmans lying around that I started 50 years ago, but they don't see the light of day.

I do have some personal collecting goals and it's a mix of finding the right coins and upgrading if I see a better example.

Now if you asked the wife (who has no numismatic interests) she'd confirm OC!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1407 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add afcop13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not obsessed with the holes - as I roll search and am trying to fill those via circulation for Lincolns, Buffs, and Jeffersons.

I do collect Standing and Seated Liberty quarters - and have "holes" that will just take a long time to fill, as budget restraints are what they are. I'm not selling platelets to get a coin. LOL.

The hobby is alot of fun for me, and aside from the numismatic part, I'm stacking silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1729 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The older I get, the more obsessive compulsive I become with hole-filling, although I'll never try to fill the '16-D nor the '09-S VDB, but I do have three sets of coins completed. I definitely do NOT collect as a form of investment; I collect because of the history behind each coin that I handle; because of the beauty of the coin artwork; because of the geography connected with each coin country. Most of all, I'm having fun with coin collecting as well as participating on this site. Life is good!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
" I " don't think I'm O.C.D.......my fiancee may beg to disagree though ! ...

But, Pls said it best for me too.....it's just "FUN" !!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05