Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins in the doors of old homes?  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  8:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add VinceU to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not sure if anyone else has ever heard of this before, but I was talking with an older gentleman today at work, who also happens to be a fan of collecting coins. He informed me that in the late 1800's early 1900's, when a house was just ready to be finished being built, the contractor would often "hammer" a gold or silver coin in the front door jam (upper part of the door opening) prior to the door being installed. The door would be installed and the coin would be forever tucked away (unless the door was replaced). He claims that he has found coins like this after an old homes were torn down. He said that the coin would actually be hammered in with a nail in the center of it. This was done to bring good luck and fortune to the residents of the home. Not sure if this is unique to Northeast PA or not. I thought it was interesting.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I have heard that before as well.Sometimes carpeters would put a penny inside the wall for good luck too.
Pillar of the Community
555 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Neil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today they leave half eaten sandwiches and open cans of Coke in the walls. You wonder why you can't get rid of the ants.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good one Neil.Haha
Learn More...
United States
21266 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You see this in old New England homes also.
Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coins92 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know a carpenter that discovered a gold "something" set in the concrete of the top stone of a chimney from a house built in the early 1800's. Unfortunately after almost two centuries of wear and tear all you can tell from the coin is that it is gold. These things were done to bring good luck.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2830 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2010  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... one way of starting a collection of "hammered" coins
Peter
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2010  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a builder, and people still to this day request to place coins either in the slab or in some other part of the house. The strangest thing I have ever seen was a goat head placed in the slab of a house we built for a Macedonian family. Something to do with an old tradition.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16557 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2010  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am a builder, and people still to this day request to place coins either in the slab or in some other part of the house. The strangest thing I have ever seen was a goat head placed in the slab of a house we built for a Macedonian family. Something to do with an old tradition.

The placing a coin under a concrete slab prior to pouring is really common in many areas. Usually under a new walkway to the front and/or rear of a house. This is supposed to bring good luck in the way of someone bringing money to the home owners.
Coins are also placed under the concrete basement slabs, concrete stairwells and even in many other places around a home.
Where new or rebuilt roads are being poured with concrete it again is common for people, encluding the construction workers, to place coins under those slabs.
I wonder how many other superstitions there are about coins?
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2010  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Find a penny, pick it up and all the day you'll have good luck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2010  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AGCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Today they leave half eaten sandwiches and open cans of Coke in the walls. You wonder why you can't get rid of the ants.

Those are not the only things.... Friend of mine was having a house built and noticed a big pile of you know what with some "used" napkins in his roughed in fireplace. Apparently someone didnt want to be bothered by going to the port-a-jon.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2010  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snook to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another good place is right above the barn doors. I've found five large cents in that way as the barns were being ripped down. Also look at cornerstones of old homes, they would lay a coin down on the cornerstone and build right over it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
501 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2010  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Billie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been building in new england for a long time. I have found a great many "Things " inside walls, under doorways, etc. All of the good silver, copper etc. I have found has been invariably lost at entry doors probably from pulling keys out of pockets. I always leave current pocket change in everything I build. That said if when working you are looking for coins or treasure you won't find it or get anything done. Most of my finds are found when not thinking about it.
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2010  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tyretiredwave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My husband is a carpenter and has found great treasures in the walls. One of the best ones was a playbill for a concert by one of the famous artists of the 1930. I can't remember which one but it was worth a great deal. He always likes to throw in a newspaper or something interesting so someone will think it's a treat the next time around.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16557 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reading about items inside walls it reminded me of my next door neighbor. When they moved in the decided to redo the basement. The entire basement was paneled but look lousy to them. So they started to rip down all that paneling. It appeared that whoever lived there previously used 2x4's for supporting the paneling. Left a lot of room inside those to the real concrete walls which where stil full of paintings, calendars, those hanging types of closths and just all sorts of stuff. Obviously the previous owners just paneled right over everything.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14976 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2010  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool stories!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05