Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1924 Florin  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
363 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  06:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add spg1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have been searching for a long time now and I can't seem to find a 1924 Florin that actually has the '4' intact ie not missing the last part of the 4.

Does anyone have one, or are they all minted like that? Even my nice EF grade coin has the broken 4.

Cheers Simon.
Learn More...
Australia
12696 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By "broken", you mean the "crossless 4" with the tail of the crossbar missing, like mine?

Mine is a "shattered die" subvariety of the crossless 4.

McConnelly says in his introductory paragraph to the florin section of his book that the "crossless 4" is so common, he's wondering whether the "crossless 4" should have been labelled as a common variety, or whether the "normal 4" should have been listed as a scarce variety instead. He eventually chose the former, but I would assume from McConnelly's phrasing that he has actually seen "normal 4" florins.

Further, there's a picture in the book (taken from the old Dean book) of a "normal 4", labelled "F16-17". So I would assume yes, they're out there.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
Australia
12696 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And looking through the CCF picture gallery, I found this one posted by ElleKitty:

Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Australia
363 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spg1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes that's the one!!

"Broken" was the easiest way (for me) to describe the missing part of the 4

So they are around..... maybe one day I will find one.
Valued Member
Australia
363 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2010  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spg1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Finally found one.

Learn More...
Australia
12696 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Persistence pays off.

Did you have to pay extra for it?
Formerly nancyc
Australia
4709 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another nice pick up! Well done!
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1295 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2010  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We went to the recent Melbourne ANDA show and a coin friend of ours showed us one of these with an intact 4 that he was very happy to have found at the show. We had no idea they were rare. Funnily enough we found ANOTHER with an intact 4 the very next morning at the same show in a different dealer's stock book.
Valued Member
Australia
363 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2010  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spg1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I was happy when this arrived, I think I paid about $20 for it off eBay. I picked up another that has the tail of the 4 but it looks slightly crushed, so it's not really intact like the other one.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05