Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2010 P Sac partial edge ms 65 - pic added  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  3:10 pm Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I finally got back my partial edge 2010 sac that I sent in to NGC, now the question is how much would this thing be worth? I havent seen any on eBay, teletrade, or any other place. I know that there are people out there who would want it for their registry sets, but whats the market value on this thing?

Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Edited by XavierOfGreen
04/10/2010 4:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3640 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is Sac short for Sacagewea?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3554 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a silly question, but do you mean partial edge lettering? I've seen partial edge describe a few errors and whether they were right or wrong descriptions, I don't know. Do you have a pic of the coin and label?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Partial Edge Lettering. I've seen several weak edge lettering examples on eBay. But this example that I pulled from a direct ship roll is actually missing a large percentage of the stars, as well as having increadibly weak detail on the date and wording on the edge, hence the partial edge designation.

-XoG
Oldest Found-------
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What were the examples going for on eBay? I would only look at closed listings and that should give you an idea of fair market value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there are no closed listing nor active listings, I havent seen a single one on eBay since the start of the year
Oldest Found-------
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the ones I seen were "weak" edge lettering not partial or missing. Here's a 2010-D but ungraded:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-D-BU-Pos-B...ng_W0QQitemZ220579129113QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item335b8a6719
Pillar of the Community
United States
3506 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the problem....The slab stops you from being able to clearly see what the error is. I'm not trying to be silly but I wouldn't buy it at any price in the slab.

Its like grading a coin with an error on the obverse of the coin and putting it in a slab that only shows the reverse of the coin.

Also, MS-65 is a very average grade so the fee for the slab + the inability to see the error made slabbing this coin a very questionable choice.

This , to me , is the perfect example of what not to spend money on.

Sorry,

Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I understand your arguement, but the entire market of these things is based on the fact that they are certified as partial dates rather than weak dates. You can't put an uncertified coin in the PCGS registry or most other registries, and I think the registry sets are the main driving force behind the market for these things since the number of specimins certified as weak dates is enormous compaired to those certified as partial dates. I'm not even sure a certified partial date sac of this year and mint mark has come on the market yet.

-XoG
Oldest Found-------
Pillar of the Community
United States
3506 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand all that but in some cases, the slab is detrimental to the collecting aspect of the coin. many of us say, buy the coin and not the slab anyway as slabs are in a sense, a crutch for those who have an inability to grade a coin or identify an error type or die variety.

For example, If I, or Mike Diamond, or Ken Potter , had the coin, we could describe it, grade it and easily sell it for what it is without the slab.

The slab doesn't sell the coin, the coin sells the coin and the slab should be secondary. It is unfortunate that in the hobby that has turned the other way around for some.

I completely understand your point of view as it has become a part of the hobby but imagine a bust half with an edge letter variety being placed in a slab where the variety became impossible to examine by a collector. The slab has become a detriment. It is the same with modern edge errors.

If the coin is what it is, you don't need the slab to prove it:-) You need to educate the potential buyer:-)

When I see someone pay $20.00 to slab a $2.00 RPM, for example, I question the wisdom of a slab. When the slab obscures the error we want to see on the dollar coin, the slab becomes a detriment in that case as well.

I would want the coin to have the edge completely visible. Also, I have seen literally hundreds of slabs that had errors and error types labeled incorrectly by all the major graders so for those who are really into the hobby, we know that the slab has even less value where errors and die varieties are concerned.

It's just the way it is. The slabbers want you to spend your money but in many cases, it really isn't important at all.

It should also be mentioned that this type of thing will probably not stand the test of time as it is a common occurrence. many times, the reason you don't see things like this "reported" anywhere is because it is of questionable importance as a collectible.

I have hundreds and hundreds of weak lettered dollar coins that I saved for fun, I wouldn't think of spending money on slabbing even one so they would never become part of a count.

The fact that people will buy anything in a slab that has a name is the same as somebody selling a minor die chip as a big deal because a holder says there is a die chip on the coin. In the overall scheme of things, it's not uncommon.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by foundinrolls
04/11/2010 7:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I myself agree with that principle, but none the less the registry sets have spurred a market where for instances such as this the slab is more important than the coin. I too have dozens of weak edge lettering coins, but saw that examples labled as partial edge were going in some instances for hundreds of dollars, where ones labled as weak edges were going for a mere 20 to 30 dollars certifed. The only reason I had this thing slabbed in the first place was to sell it, without the slab it would barely be marketable at all as there would be no real distinguishing factor between it and the weak edge specimins.

-XoG
Oldest Found-------
Learn More...
United States
16261 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have sold certain key date restored Buffalo nickels raw and slabbed and have found that the slabbed coins bring significantly higher amounts which by the way, more than make up for the s/h and certification.
johnny54321 - Missed and eternally loved by your CCF family.
CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396, C4

Pillar of the Community
United States
3506 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I acknowledged the fact that for some collectors, they place a value on the slab and that is unfortunately unfortunate:-)

I remember people buying slabs left and right that were labeled as MS-70 by an unscrupulous seller on eBay. Those people lost out by buying the slab and not the coin.

Even now, you can buy a Washington dollar with no edge letters, unslabbed but still solidly and properly graded for $69.95 retail and about $50.00 wholesale. They were selling for huge money in slabs and they dropped like a rock after a bunch of people paid way too much for them. They bought the slab and not the coin and lost out big time.

I understand that the slab sells but that is a sad statement for both the buyers and the sellers. It's the coin that should sell. Keep in mind that in the short haul, the seller will make money selling the plastic and not the coin. In the long run, the buyer is going to lose....again....as it the buyer so often does because he paid for the plastic and not the coin.

It's just another way of taking the money out of the pockets of the uneducated consumer. Everyone should read this and learn from it. Some of you may already have a very expensive collection of plastic sitting around with coins in the plastic that have almost no value.

In the long run, this does no good for the hobby, in my humble opinion. Slabs are and always will be more of a marketing tool and it is unfortunate that people will pay for a slab because they can't figure out what they need to learn about the coin(s) that are in them.

The fact that some knucklehead would pay $30.00 for a machined doubled cent on eBay because it's in a slab labeled as machine doubled will never make the coin in the holder worth more than 5 cents. An increase in what a coin sells for if it is inflated for no good reason only benefits a seller and removes money from someone's pockets.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by foundinrolls
04/11/2010 8:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3506 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Stated above by vermontensium

"I have sold certain key date restored Buffalo nickels raw and slabbed and have found that the slabbed coins bring significantly higher amounts which by the way, more than make up for the s/h and certification".

My Question, what legitimate slabber grades these and how do they mark the slab? I can't think of a more altered coin than that and I would love to find out who is slabbing them:-)

Thanks,
Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS certifies acid restored coins and notes them as such on the holders, the overdates sell for well over a hundred a pop acid restored.
I guess ill just put this thing up as a make an offer with a high buy it now price. That's probobly the only way id be able to figure out what the demand is for it I suppose.
-XoG
Oldest Found-------
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05