Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1915 Panama-Pacific $50 Octagonal Advice

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2013  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add giorgio11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I am glad that this thread did get resurrected because it brings it to the attention of newbies like myself. Not everybody has been on this forum for two years.

Best Regards,

George
Best Regards,

George
www.VDBCoins.com
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2013  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mmerc20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad it came back from the dead. I don't know how many times I have come back to this thread just to look at the pictures. Ever since I had my first coin book when I was 7 or so, it was my favorite coin.

Mike
Pillar of the Community
United States
5011 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2013  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember when this thread was first posted.

And reading it again is like watching antiques roadshow where someone bought some 5 foot tall federal eagle looking wooden thing for $10, had it out in their front yard under the tree for 5 years, and then find out it is worth $100K
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2013  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nepavending to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love this thread. Congrats to Hunter and best of luck with the future and your family.

This is the kind of story I love as a newbie to collecting coins. I know it is possible to hit a huge value coin or even a set. I have also heard of other stories like it over the years. It gives me something to dream about as I get started being a more serious coin collector. I love the look of this coin, almost as much as the 1907 St Gaudens.
Luxembourg
1 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2013  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vavoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello there!

I was reading this thread and think it's such a fascinating story!

I have a little question for the experienced community here.
I saw that I have two replicas of that $50 Octagonal coin struck in 999 silver in 1980, with their serial numbers on their sides.

Now I know that they're NOT coins and that medallions etc. are frowned upon by us but these were just too nice. they're good replicas and do not have anything like "COPY" etc written over them.

I actually found an OLD APMEX listing when they once had one for sale over there, so that you can see the replica's pictures.
http://www.apmex.com/product/34580/...dal-999-fine

So the question is:
as this kind of replica (of legal tender nevertheless)is quite rare (not changed, no words like "copy" plastered over it), how much could these be worth to somebody who really likes those Panama-Pacific coins but doesn't have the 80,000USD budget to boot?

These were struck in 1980, 999 silver, and have their respective serial numbers engraved on the side.

Thanks!!

Edited by vavoo
11/21/2013 12:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8895 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2013  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Moe145's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was reading this thread and think it's such a fascinating story!

I love when these things happen!! (Maybe we'll all have ancestors who will be able to experience this kind of thing!!)
Links to ALL previous "Days of..." Threads:
http://goccf.com/t/108352#108352
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2013  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add noob77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is probably the best story I've read on coin community. It is one that should be resurrected on occasion.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2013  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Counterstamptastic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This story inspired me to join the forums!!

I read a congressioinal bill sponsored by Nancy Pelosi and it was a re-issue of the octagonal gold coins in a 1/4 ounce size.

Did this bill pass? Will we see the 100th anniversary of the Panama-Pacific gold coins?

These are my favorite coins of all time. I have a 2009 St. Gaudens UHR and I pretend its octagonal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1252 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2013  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I, too, am happy that this thread is back.... I read it about a year and a half after the fact, and I remember thinking at first that the five ish pages were CCF telling someone that their "coin" was fake. Imagine my surprise when the topic turned out to be an actual Pan-Pac set. I still find it incredible that an original set survived, and kudos to the owner for finding it and bringing it into the light.

Edited by The Silver Searcher
12/26/2013 10:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4346 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2014  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before I joined as a member I read this thread from page 1 to page 7...seeing how the replies were friendly and helpful made me want to join.

I'm glad the members of this forum were able to help the original poster with this stunning set.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Valued Member
Australia
236 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2014  02:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first read.

Glad I got the chance.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ilikeabecoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this topic as a link in a different one I was reading that had asked the question if anyone had ever found a "strike it rich" coin. Well this poster surely did! And because a good story deserves to be remembered,....Bump.

Quote:
Personally I am glad that this thread did get resurrected

Quote:
I'm glad it came back from the dead.

Quote:
It gives me something to dream

Quote:
kudos to the owner for finding it and bringing it into the light.

Quote:
I agree, most people would say it is bad manners to bring up an old thread, but this is quite the story! Glad that it got bumped and that I got a chance to read it.

Quote:
Glad I got the chance.

Edited by Ilikeabecoins
06/15/2018 08:49 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1726 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread and story!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1052 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just read this story. Great story. Your uncle must be proud.
To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.

ANA Member since 2007.
Edited by okiepb
07/19/2018 11:25 am
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2018  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, this thread has been fantastic to read. What a cool set to find intact and in the original box. It would be hard for me to break something like that up.
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05