Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Polished and/or cleaned coins  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community

United States
16025 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  09:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Some time back I experimented with a group of polished and/or excessively cleaned coins. The first batch I experimented with turned out OK but nothing to brag about. So this time I tried the Kitchen Window Sill method for an extended period of time. All the coins originally came from either flea markets or coin shows and usually real cheap due to their appearances being almost Proof like and not a proof.
To get rid of the waxes or polishing material I soaked them in Laquer thinner, Mineral Spirits, Acetone, Gasoline, Alcohol, GooGone, etc. Not all at the same time of course. Some times they soaked for weeks due to forgetting to take them out. Eventually all were rinsed with distilled water and placed on a kitchen window sill for many Months. Not sure how long now but at least 4 to 6 Months. Here is the results:

Some look almost like normal, everyday coins again but sure wouldn't want to send to PCGS or NGC for grading. Always odd how some of the Lincoln Cents take on a Redish color from all that.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
16267 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  10:08 am  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting Carl. They have taken on an almost back to normal look although you can still see the unoriginality, especially the Lincolns.
johnny54321 - Missed and eternally loved by your CCF family.
CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396, C4

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16025 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not knowing the possible results at the time I just didn't think of taking a photo of these but should have. Really amazing how back then they all looked like proof coins they shinned so much.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2661 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw some 22 and 23 Peace dollars at the show last week in a dealers pick bin that had been polished so much that at first glance I thought they were uncirculated. picked them out of the box and realized that would have graded in the fine range. Great polish gob though, no viable scratches that I could see with a loop.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1016 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it would be interesting to send one in to NGC / PCGS to see if they could identify everything you've done to it. Would it be possible to fit it all on the slab?

1972 Lincoln F-30 Details
Cleaned
Acetoned
Gasolined
Goo-Goned
etc...

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16025 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it would be interesting to send one in to NGC / PCGS to see if they could identify everything you've done to it. Would it be possible to fit it all on the slab?

Better yet would be where would they post "Window Sill Reincarnationing"
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think thats what they call recoloring
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05