Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How much and what type of hair-lining is "too much"?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  12:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Powerkicker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've seen the fact that hair-lines are typically a sign of cleaning and I've seen that in action. I have some gold coins that have a few hairlines and still will grade according to my local coin store, and a few with a few more that would get body-bagged. The line between one and the other seems vague.

ANAC says that some patches of hair lining can still be found even on low-end mint state coins. This is rather confusing to me as a newbie in collecting numismatics although I have been collecting bullion for some time. Where is the line between acceptable lining and "cleaned" to be found?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Pics showing the differences would be even better! I've been struggling with this one for a while.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16025 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that what your asking is rather difficult to really answer since, as the saying goes, Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I've seen people sitting at tables in coin shows with what could well be a million power magnifier. Slight exageration there. What I mean is there are those collectors that would avoid a coin with the slightest hair lining on it. Then too there are collectors that would ignor any such lining at all. For me a slight lining from cleaning is nothing if insufficient under normal vision. If you require a small amount of magnification to detect those lines, that too may be unimportant to many. I do think if I picked up a coin and such lines were visible with just normal lighting, I'd avoid buying.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2010  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stephen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On modern coins hairlines are caused mostly by coin counters. Starting at the mint and then banks to make rolls from bags delivered by the federal reserve...

Type in coin counter on your browser on Google there are videos on left side check it out..

multiple hair lines are not gradable in ms coins. a few are allowed maybe five or six spread out across 1/2 the coin but still a down grade...

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05