Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 LMC Off Center?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24069 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2010  3:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this one roll searching this morning. Is it considered an off center or is it something else? Value? Grade? Thanks in advance,
John1

( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
7629 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2010  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a softly struck misaligned obverse die. Very little premium value, but a genuine error nonetheless.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24069 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2010  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about the reverse. The gap between ONE CENT and the rim? Thanks,
John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1943 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2010  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the obverse looks like a misaligned die plus it looks like there is some vertical misalignment. John, if you think it is off centered then check the diameter. An off centered strike is struck out of collar so the diameter would be larger.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24069 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2010  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will have to ask my nephew to measure it,I don't have a way to do it.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
7629 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2010  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could well be correct about the gap along the lower reverse rim. Take the suggestion to have it measured. If struck in collar, it should be 19mm all the way around. If struck out of collar, it will be larger.

Another suggestion - without measuring tools why not just compare it to another cent from the same era and see if it's larger?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24069 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2010  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could the reverse be considered a broad-strike? I am going to have my nephew measure it to get an exact size. It can't be much larger then norm because it had to have gone through a counting machine and a rolling machine, I found it in a String and Sons roll. I will let you know the size when I find out.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24069 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally got a measurement,It's just under 19mm all around. So is it an off center,Or a broad struck in collar or what? I'm a little confused on this one. Thanks everyone,
John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1943 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Off centered strikes and broadstrikes are both out of collar errors having a larger diameter. The difference between the two is broadstrikes have the complete design on the coin which can sometimes be referred to as centered or uncentered. When the planchet was uncentered so much that part of the design is missing then the error is an off centered strike. On your coin here I'll stick with a slight MAD but I think this is a nice example of a Vertically Misaligned Die. The only other thing I can think of that would cause this is a tapered planchet. Is the planchet thickness the same around the coin?
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2010  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add x78089 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good find!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05