Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit $ 1.00  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  2:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,
Found this in some change a few days ago. it passed for real, front and back look real when comparing to other $ 1.00 bills. Look close under the serial number on the left it's stamped "counterfeit" and on the right it's stamped "Made In Japan" it has a hard vertical center fold and a hard horizontal fold. This is so well done that it passed for real very easily.

The back of the note looks just like a real one and does not have any "counterfeit" or "Made In Japan" markings. Anyone ever see any others like it ?.
The Bill Collector

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1217 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Check jgfindring's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Waiting to hear from an expert, but I suspect it is genuine and stamped "counterfeit" and "made in japan" by someone as a joke.
Up to 401 Countries now! Working on Canadian, Australian and Euro type sets.
Completed US sets:Lincoln Memorial w/ proof;Lincoln Shield w/proof;Jefferson w/proof;Roosevelt w/proof;Washington w/proof;Statehood w/proof;Franklin;Kennedy w/proof;Eisenhower w/proof;SBA w/proof;Sacagawea w/proof;Presidential w/proof.
Close: LWC missing 2; Mercs missing 1; Walkers missing 2. 7070 type set missing 10.
I AM A COLLECTOR! I don't care if the value is going to go up, down or sideways! I don't collect coins to get rich, but as a hobby to RELAX!
NGC IHC registry set #25!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
does a magnet attract it?
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suspect it is genuine and stamped "counterfeit" and "made in japan" by someone as a joke.

So do I.....If I had access to a press and plates that would do such a nice job, I sure would not waste my time with one dollar bills.

I doubt that the Treasury Dept. would rubber stamp "counterfeit" or "made in Japan" on a note and then release it back into circulation....(who else would be qualified to do this other than some joker with some rubber stamps)?

Unfortunately, the note is genuine, kind of a neat thing though.....a conversation piece to be used at a bank or convenience store.....
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I feel the same way Zee, why waste time on a $ 1.00 when you could do $ 20.'s. Nickelman, I tried the magnet thing and it's not attracted, in fact none of my other bills are attracted either, maybe I need a stronger magnet.

This bill is dated 1988. I did check for fibers in the paper with a strong glass, it has none, my other $ 1.'s in my pocket at this time dated 2003 and 2006 have a few red and blue fibers mostly blue, in the paper. It looks real and it feels real, and the colour is right, do bills of this time frame have fiber in the paper ?, I checked again front and back and there are none.
The Bill Collector
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just answered my own question, went and dug out my Currency Collection and my 1988 $ 1.00 does have some red and blue fibers. Now what ?, is there some other way to check ?.
The Bill Collector
Edited by The Bill Collector
12/23/2010 3:17 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12421 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with the note being genuine. I suspect that it was some sort of political protest, Japanese citizens and corporations poured a couple hundred billion dollars into the US real estate market in the 1980s(that is a 1988 series $1) A couple of the highest profile properties owned by the Japanese were Rockefeller Center In NYC and Pebble Beach Golf Course in CA. A portion of the US populace was a bit outraged at the Japanese buying up so much US real estate, I suspect the originator of the note fell into that category. In the end, it was much ado about nothing because of the collapse of the Japanese economy, aka "The Lost Decade", which resulted in the Japanese largely pulling out the US real estate market.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should probably cross out the Japan part and re-stamp China in its place.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your right, I forgot they own US now.
The Bill Collector
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2011  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mercapri302 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually saw fake singles once at a bank. When I asked to buy their unusual currency, they showed me consecutive counterfeit singles and actually asked me for my opinion on their genuineness... they were extremely poor clones of real money, that anyone could detect. I'm surprised anybody bothered to actually make them.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2011  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does seem dumb to make singles this good, but like I said I checked for red and blue fibers in the paper and cant see any. On my next trip into town I'm going to check it out with one of the pens they use to check 20's and 50's. I'll let everyonr know how it turns out.
The Bill Collector
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2011  02:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rh13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fibers are attracted to magnets,,?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2011  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No the ink is attracted to magnets, that's how bill acceptors can tell the difference between real and fake notes. I have 4 change machines at work and each note has to pass a magnetic test to be accepted by the machine. It uses a "head" similar to the ones on old 8-track players. If you don't know what an 8-track is that only means you are under 40 years old.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2011  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think those red and blue fibers are a anti-counterfeit measure they have used for many years. If it doesn't have any chances are its probably fake, no matter how good it looks. Does it have a real feel to it or does something feel off with the bill? I have never heard the magnet thing before but have always heard the fiber thing ever since I can remember and I myself have never seen one without at least a couple fibers in the material the bill is printed on (its not actually paper its a form of cloth)

Quote:
If you don't know what an 8-track is that only means you are under 40 years old.

Yeah those yunguns don't know how lucky they are to just be able to push a button to go to a certain song on a cd, with 8 tracks if you just liked one song you had to listen to the whole 8 track tape to get to hear it again. I think some that came out later had a fast fwd button but no rewind. I remember having an addon 8 track tape player attached to our AM radio that was in out family car when I was a kid and thought we were big time. But also back then we could lay in the back window deck and sleep while on a trip and didn't have to worry about getting pulled over and going to jail for child abuse. The only seat belt we needed was dads arm that would catch us as he slammed on brakes before we went out the windshield, worked better than any child seat or seat belt made at the time
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2011  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jlg1130 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you don't know what an 8-track is that only means you are under 40 years old.

I'm under 40 years old, and I know what an 8 track is. I even have a few 8 track tapes. I don't have a player, though.

I even have *gasp* records and a turntable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
668 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2011  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its real.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05